will my hens leave pumpkin plants alone?

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
Not sure if I have this post in the right section, but here it is. I have one part of my garden that will be hard to fence off. I plan on growing pumpkins here. I had read that pumpkin plants are actually a plant that chickens will leave alone. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? I had planned on leaving my girls in their run until the plants are actually able to get past the seedling stage. Since they are so attracted to newly tilled soil, I could definately see them throwing the seedlings around, if not eating them all together. Any advice?

I don't know about pumpkins because mine were eaten by squirrels!my chickens ate my blueberry's, strawberry, and tomatoes, so i would agree that chickens and gardens don't mix.
tongue.png

Chickens won't leave much of anything alone. Fence it, fence the chickens, or keep very small chickens with big plants. I put seramas and japanese bantams in my gardens after the plants are grown or areas that I put well started plants instead of seeds and new sprouts. Then you still have to keep an eye on the chickens and plants when you start to get produce. With large chickens it won't work at all without a ton of space and plants. They only fail to destroy things when there is something better to destroy or more than they are capable of destroying. Which is a lot.

I had a spaghetti squash plant come up unplanted last year. The chickens got the squash open and ate them clean. The spaghetti squash is as hard as a pumpkin and the skin is just as thick.

ROFLOL! My first year with chickens. My coop is in the middle of my garden.
lau.gif

What was I thinkging.?!?! I have been day dreaming about working in the garden with my hens at my side, tossing them worms and veggie shreds. My fantrasy didn't include the pirannah girls at work....

Oh well...Good luck with your pumpkins!!!

Back
Top Bottom