1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my May hatched RIRs wait until Spring to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rangely, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Rangely

Rangely Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Fort Collins
    They haven't produced a single egg yet. They are now six months old. Their tail feathers haven't turned up yet, and their combs are still "pullet" small. The RIR's are middle of the pecking order. Granted daylight is shorter, but I was hoping they wouldn't wait until march. They aren't shy with the feed either! Aside from those two, everyone is happy & laying, but for 1 aussie who shut down for the winter, and my sussex who is still contemplating resumption after molting.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    last year, I hatched out BRs in may. They started laying in november/december with no extra light. Be patient, and watch their combs, once they turn red, they whould be laying. If your overly concerned and want eggs, give them some extra light.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Have hope. My oldest RIRs are only a month older than yours and I only get 5 eggs a day from 19 pullets. I also have most of my RIRs slightly younger than yours. I guess this year was a bad year for early developers with their breed. The eggs will come. Just know you will probably have to buy eggs 2 or 3 more times.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I sure hope so, I have a bunch of late hatchers, July 4th to be exact. Blue and black silkies, dark brahma pair, some barred olive eggers, mottled javas, copper black marans, all with pullet combs, some are starting to go pinkish, but they still look too small to be laying soon. My lavender/black split orps hatched around APRIL and are still not laying yet! Just lately I have seen the roos treading the hens and a few of their combs are starting to get reddish rosey pink... I can only hope they lay before spring!

5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    My RIRs tend to start laying between 23 and 28 weeks. You're just getting into the low end of that range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by