Extra light for pullets

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I have 5 Light Sussex pullets that are point of lay. Their mother hens who were hatched early April last year started to lay at the end of August and these pullets were hatched early May this year so I was hoping they would start laying the end of September.
But no one's laying yet.
Well, the day is getting is shorter here. The sun rises 715am and goes down at 7pm these days.
The hens are still laying fine but I'm worried that the pullets might not start laying at all this year and wait until the next spring because they're not getting enough sunlight nowadays.
So I put up a led light in the coop and I want to use it only until the pullets star laying because the hens will molt this winter and I don't want them to get exhausted laying too much longer than they normally would.

But I've read that if you stop using the light the chickens will molt. Will that apply to the pullets too?
Will that be okay if I gradually decrease the number of hours the light is on for when I want to stop?

If adding light it needs to be full spectrum light.

The red light is unlikely to do anything to speed up the pullets.
There is still enough daylight hours for them for a few weeks without adding anything.

If adding light it needs to be full spectrum light.

The red light is unlikely to do anything to speed up the pullets.
There is still enough daylight hours for them for a few weeks without adding anything.
I meant LED light not red. I have a cool white one but I'm going to change to it warm white today.
My latitude is 49N and the day gets shorter quite quickly in the fall. It'd be nice if the pullets starting to lay naturally but I don't want to risk it. Thank you.

I meant LED light not red. I have a cool white one but I'm going to change to it warm white today.
My latitude is 49N and the day gets shorter quite quickly in the fall. It'd be nice if the pullets starting to lay naturally but I don't want to risk it. Thank you.

Yeah LED is way different than a red light. I guess I must have misread that.

Back
Top Bottom