Will my new chicks be okay with my 1 yr old hens?

corcor55

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
New Fairfield, CT
Hi BYC Members. I split an order of chicks with some people from Mcmurray. 11 of the 25 came DOA, just awful. Anways, the 8 I ordered were all dead, so they are sending me more (including 16 that will be "packing peanuts). SO - my question is if I leave them in the coop outside of a box or tank, etc (I have 4 in a 10 gallon aquarium out there now from the last order), will the hens that are 1+ yr old be okay with them? I am afraid they might get trampled or stepped on or just pecked to death. I really don't know where to put that many chicks ( I assume some will be doa again). Any thoughts. My coop is big enough for the 7 hens I have now, but they "fly" down from the window sill where they roost to get out he door and I want the babies to be safe. Any advice would be helpful. FYI - I plan on only keeping a few of these - the rest I will give away.

hit.gif
hit.gif
Sorry to hear about the DOA!! Anyway they can be in the coop but in their own warm area should be ok where the others cant get to them.

I wouldn't allow the babies out in the coop till maybe 10 weeks. In the mean time they need heat and their basic food and water supplied to them.
You can put the brooder inside the coop with a lamp however if the hens can reach the babes they most likely will be pecked to death and trampled.
Put an ad up NOW on Craigslist about cute one day olds soon to be here and most likely you'll get some one wanting them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom