1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my older babies attack my new ones?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MoonGoddess, Apr 14, 2007.

1. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Hi everyone!
    As some of you know I bought 5 baby chicks two weeks ago. Tomorrow I am going to get 5 more...probably smaller babies. My older ones are probably 2 months? They have wing feathers and tail feathers, but their heads and bellies are still fuzzy.
    Can I pop the 5 new ones into the brooder without a problem or will the older ones attack?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  2. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i mwouldn't put them together my babies fight all the time and they have been together since 4 weeks

3. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    They have wing feathers and tail feathers, but their heads and bellies are still fuzzy.

That sounds more like three weeks old to me, believe it or not! My six week old chicks are fully feathered with no fuzz at all. They are much bigger than city pigeons, for reference, and take two hands to pick up securely.

As for the new chicks- you might be able to just put them together with close supervision. I added 4 day old chicks to 2 1/2 week old chicks and after a few pecks and some initial nervous shrieking, it hasn't been a problem. It sounds like your chicks might be the same age difference and thus you might be able to just combine them with caution. Make sure the new chicks get water and have ample access to food, of course. The older ones might boss them around a bit.

-MTchick​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by