Will my quail survive? Any ideas?

I don't know if this has any relation to quail but it is not uncommon in guinea hens to lose their motor functions (can't stand or walk) if they are suffering from a calcium deficiency. In those cases the fastest way to recovery to provide calcium in a liquid form.

The liquid calcium is normally available from pet stores or online. It may also be possible to dissolve a calcium tablet in water. The liquid calcium should not be given to males or adolescents.

There is no guarantee that this is your quail's problem, just something to think about.

They all have access to oyster shell. But I am going to try this anyway - anything which might help :)

Hi Nabiki,
Just been watching her and she is blinking alot.
It is possible she hit her head. I brought her from the aviary 2 weeks ago where she had lots of room to fly and been in a hutch since. I do this with birds I want to breed.
If she has hit her head - do you think she will return to normal?
Strangely she flapped her wings and her whole body started to spasm. So she can move despite feeling stiff. I think it is painful for her. :(
If she hit her head, she might recover, she might not. Her legs aren't paralyzed, or not completely, at least. She is moving them, so there is hope that she'll recover if it's a head injury. Your best bet at this point would be to take her to a vet if you can.

In the meantime, you're doing the right things in keeping her warm and in as stress free an environment as you can.

If she hit her head, she might recover, she might not. Her legs aren't paralyzed, or not completely, at least. She is moving them, so there is hope that she'll recover if it's a head injury. Your best bet at this point would be to take her to a vet if you can.

In the meantime, you're doing the right things in keeping her warm and in as stress free an environment as you can.

Thanks, yes I think at this point a vet visit is in order. I did not even consider a head injury.

I Will let you know how I get on.

Idk how the vets are in the US, but here the most have no clue about quails.

And as they know nothing, they just give antibiotics and vitamines for horrible prices.

Saw a german Youtuber, who went three times to the vet, because one of his quails gone lethargic. Could not stand too. She died in the end.
But she was 3 years old (this was, why I was asking how old yours is).
Don't wanna know how high the bill was.

But as quails are more popular in the US, my hopes are with you and your vet ... Crossing fingers :fl

I read quite often about these symtoms, but never read about any cause or real solution. About 50% made it, the other 50% died. With or without vet.

Could be pretty minor, not like what they show here.

Oh wow, thankfully she looks pretty normal in that regard. When I first checked her over I thought her vent was quite tightly closed but then pooped fine shortly afterward.

I am subscribed to Slightly Rednecked also - some really good advice :)

As the day has worn on (fingers crossed) she seems to have improved slightly. Still can't stand but has been trying her wings and stretched her legs out a few times.

Any other bird and I would have taken a deep breath and culled. She is one of three I have become attached to. Sometimes you just get those birds who are extra affectionate with you.

And as they know nothing, they just give antibiotics and vitamines for horrible prices.

Saw a german Youtuber, who went three times to the vet, because one of his quails gone lethargic. Could not stand too. She died in the end.

But as quails are more popular in the US, my hopes are with you and your vet ... Crossing fingers :fl

I read quite often about these symtoms, but never read about any cause or real solution. About 50% made it, the other 50% died. With or without vet.
You do need to find a vet that knows birds. I wouldn't take a quail to a general vet, but there are vets that specialize in different animals. My cats go to a practice that sees nothing but cats. My chinchillas go to a vet that specializes in pocket pets and other small animals. Finding one that knows birds may be a challenge, but it can be done.

Mmm I am in the UK and quail are not terribly popular here either. Usually, I would not consider a vet for all the reasons you stated. I will call them tomorrow - with the virus it is likely to be just advice over the phone anyway. As you say fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom