Will my rooster ever be a...Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Taylor, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    I have a 7 month old Partridge Rock cockerel and 2 hens, they are fairly new additions to the flock and the hens are doin just fine, but the hens i already had are picking on him constantly and bug the living crap outta him! will he ever straighten up and crow and be a rooster??? or will he continue being a free-loading coward??? any suggestions???

2. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Are you sure its a roo? It also could be he is still young or hasn't fully been accepted into th flock. We have a hen that chases away dogs, deer, robins and other birds, and beats up cats. She has saved the other chickens necks on several occasions (or at least from an injury), but it picked on by the other chickens.

3. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    just give it time, one day he'll figure it out.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    If he is a he then he will behave like a he when he is ready [​IMG]

My 19 week old white leghorn, Foghorn, just started mounting his hatchmate Snow White and I saw him walk over to the younger pullets like he was going to try them on for size - thankfully they ran away quickly. He's been crowing since he was 6 weeks old. Of course he's been in charge since day one. The two older chicks were from our first hatchlings that ended up being 4 roosters and 1 pullet. We kept 1 rooster (the one with the most tail feathers) & the only pullet. Added 3 more pullets to the flock that were 4 weeks younger and now he has 4 pullets to boss around. He's in rooster paradise and loving his flock.

I do have a new clutch of 6 week olds to merge into the old flock - it has at least 2 roosters in it. I'm already worried about the baby roosters and how they will fare with Foghorn as he is all male.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a BR cockerel that is 5 months old now, and he sounds just as passive as your guy. He's at least 3 times the size of my silkie rooster who rules the roost. Jagger only crowed 3 times two days ago. It was only a loud sound, but he did all the motions. Did not sound like a real crow [​IMG]

He has tried to mount the girls.. Only by grabbing their comb from behind and is chased away immediately. Poor guy. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, he will in time. Right now the hens are teaching him humility. When he matures, he will climb the pecking order one hen at a time, starting with the lowest ranking hen.

7. Taylor

Dec 14, 2008
    yes, he's a rooster! LOL his hackles are developing and his tail feathers are starting to show, but he is a big coward! but his comb is real small about 1/2 in tall! i hope he turns into a real man! [​IMG] or maybe he is a queer!! [​IMG]

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:LOL I had a rooster that was like this. Unfortunately he had some type of failure to thirve and passed away a couple of weeks ago. [​IMG] Poor Carl..

He had us really confused. I thought he had gender issues. [​IMG] My best friend Dylan picked him out (Dylan is very queer). We used to say he takes after his father. [​IMG]

9. Taylor

Dec 14, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] i'm goin to go get another partridge rock rooster saturday at the Amish Country and i may sell the gay one i have now. I wonder what gets into chickens, I have a gay rooster, a couple of lesbian hens, and some outcasts, and some very old grandma chickens! what a happy Family!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by