Will my rooster stop damaging my hens when he's older?

The head grab is not just a rooster holding on. It's the signal for the hen to raise her tail up out of the way so he can hit the target. There will be no fertile eggs without a head grab. Some cockerels and roosters have a bad technique for this too. They can pull feathers when they should not.
Yeah, I seriously think it's technique. He's just so big, he can't balance well. And my SS is now going bald on her head as well as her shoulders like my EE.

This sound like it is a flock-wide problem, not an individual chicken problem. So let's think along those lines. How are you feeding them? Brittle feathers can be caused by nutritional deficiencies, especially certain minerals like calcium, zinc, selenium, manganese, or magnesium. Individual hens sometimes don't process some of these minerals properly (usually genetic) so you can often get one or two hens with this problem, but since it seems every hen is affected look at diet. if the feathers are brittle, even a good rooster with good technique can cause excess feather loss.

It's quite possible it is at least partially the fault of the rooster. As you mentioned his spurs probably aren't big enough to cause the problem, it's usually not the spurs anyway. When they mount the hen they hold on with their claws. Their toenails can be pretty long and sharp long before spurs become an issue. It might help to blunt the end of his claws. It's a lot like trimming your toenails, if you stay out of the quick it doesn't hurt at all and doesn't bleed. The quick is different in different chickens. Usually if you take off less than 1/3 of the claw you don't hit the quick, but you might want some flour on hand to stop the bleeding just in case. I've used a Dremel tool with one of those discs used to cut metal to knock off the sharp point of the toenails. If you wrap the bird in a towel they are usually pretty calm through this process. I've heard of people using a dog toenail clipper but I have no experience with that.

If the toenails cause feather loss, sharp spurs can cut the skin if it is bare. The toenails can too. Bare skin is at risk, even with a cockerel and his toenails. it is something to be avoided.

Have you checked for mites and lice? They can cause feather loss.

If it is purely due to your cockerel's technique, it's possible that will get better as he and the pullets mature. The pullets can play a part in this too. The cockerel has to have the maturity and personality the pullets can respect instead of just using brute force to establish his dominance. Once he reaches that point the pullets have to have the maturity and personality to accept him instead of fighting him or resisting. I've had cockerels reach that point of maturity at five months, even with a flock of older hens. I've had cockerels reach 11 months before the last mature hen accepted him. it's not just age, it's maturity. Some never mature.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is personal preference. If he is causing problems in the flock, do you really need to keep him?
It's the older hens that are suffering the most damage. They are the ones that run when he starts dancing and he chases them down. The pullets raised with him submit immediately.

I have a Bantam Splash Cochin rooster. He came to me as a young adult with five hens of the same age. I really only wanted the hens for eggs, but, I kept him because he is so handsome and didn't think he would be very effective as the hens were full sized girls. I know I had to put down
two girls down due to his mating attempts and I'm about to add 10 9wk old girls to the flock. After reading many of your comments, I think I've decided to eliminate him altogether. My flock are in a 8 x 24 ft inclosed run so no predator problem for him to be there for.

I have a Bantam Splash Cochin rooster. He came to me as a young adult with five hens of the same age. I really only wanted the hens for eggs, but, I kept him because he is so handsome and didn't think he would be very effective as the hens were full sized girls. I know I had to put down
two girls down due to his mating attempts and I'm about to add 10 9wk old girls to the flock. After reading many of your comments, I think I've decided to eliminate him altogether. My flock are in a 8 x 24 ft inclosed run so no predator problem for him to be there for.
My cockerel is a Blue Splash Cochin as well and also so very beautiful, but full sized. And my Blue cochin just went broody and I gave her 5 bantam chicks, which is another reason to re-home him. He would likely kill one of them trying to breed.

My cockerel is a Blue Splash Cochin as well and also so very beautiful, but full sized. And my Blue cochin just went broody and I gave her 5 bantam chicks, which is another reason to re-home him. He would likely kill one of them trying to breed.
Thank you for helping me make a decision I knew had to be made. Now to find him a home.

I think some roos are not as gentle, some hens have poorer feather quality, and roos often have their favorite hens. (the favorites are often the most fertile.) It all adds up to feather wear. I do not have a solution to this issue that is acceptable to me. I simply see it as part of the package of having a roo.

Roos don't try to breed chicks, not even young stupid roos. More often the roosters will protect the chicks as they may be his offspring.

I thought hatching chicks if I wanted would be the way to go economically.. but it all depends. I don't like the girls losing condition when they set. And I don't get eggs while they are. So having a sitting hen isn't exactly free. Even though the incubator doesn't use much energy it also isn't free, especially if you don't already have the equipment. I have learned that I love adopting feed store chicks to my hens, even though it cost a few dollars. It's a great way to add variety. However, I choose to keep my roo because I want the specific breed which seems hard to get in my area without ordering large amounts and ending up with hatchery birds. But I keep my boys separately, at least for now.

Agree with LG, they do go after the most fertile. And even the young pullets who are still working their way into lay give off that vibe (though we only notice the reddening comb. But the boys who go crazy every time a girl accidentally gets in their pen wouldn't have any part of the broody mama who got in yesterday. I'm positive they can "sense" the hormonal changes.

Have to say if I had to put down 2 hens, that cockerel would have been first in line, NO questions asked! And it would NOT have been a difficult decision for me. :mad: But I wonder what it was that happened since I've never heard of anyone putting down hens from mating attempts? My guess might be human error, as in not enough hens or space? Not pointing any fingers, cause we all make mistakes! Just trying to learn something here.

Good luck finding him a home! :fl

Just don't forget there is no shame in letting him feed someone else's family and I feel honored to know where my meat comes from and how it was raised! We all have to eat, and some of us WON'T eat commercially raised chickens because of how they are treated. We vote with our dollars. But we don't feast on store bought and pretend we are too sensitive to eat something that we saw living at our house once. An animal is still an animal no matter who raised it. :old

But I totally get the emotion behind it too! :hugs

Roos don't try to breed chicks, not even young stupid roos. More often the roosters will protect the chicks as they may be his offspring.

I thought hatching chicks if I wanted would be the way to go economically.. but it all depends. I don't like the girls losing condition when they set. And I don't get eggs while they are. So having a sitting hen isn't exactly free. Even though the incubator doesn't use much energy it also isn't free, especially if you don't already have the equipment. I have learned that I love adopting feed store chicks to my hens, even though it cost a few dollars. It's a great way to add variety. However, I choose to keep my roo because I want the specific breed which seems hard to get in my area without ordering large amounts and ending up with hatchery birds. But I keep my boys separately, at least for now.

Agree with LG, they do go after the most fertile. And even the young pullets who are still working their way into lay give off that vibe (though we only notice the reddening comb. But the boys who go crazy every time a girl accidentally gets in their pen wouldn't have any part of the broody mama who got in yesterday. I'm positive they can "sense" the hormonal changes.

Have to say if I had to put down 2 hens, that cockerel would have been first in line, NO questions asked! And it would NOT have been a difficult decision for me. :mad: But I wonder what it was that happened since I've never heard of anyone putting down hens from mating attempts? My guess might be human error, as in not enough hens or space? Not pointing any fingers, cause we all make mistakes! Just trying to learn something here.

Good luck finding him a home! :fl

Just don't forget there is no shame in letting him feed someone else's family and I feel honored to know where my meat comes from and how it was raised! We all have to eat, and some of us WON'T eat commercially raised chickens because of how they are treated. We vote with our dollars. But we don't feast on store bought and pretend we are too sensitive to eat something that we saw living at our house once. An animal is still an animal no matter who raised it. :old

But I totally get the emotion behind it too! :hugs

I just wanted to say I have a year old rooster that actually went after two of my 12 week old pullets to mate the other day, so it does happen. He had been living with these pullets as well as the hens with no issues for several weeks but he has started harassing the too young pullets. we had to segregate him while we figure out what to do. So you have never seen a rooster, even young cockerels go after immature pullets? Hm I was going to try to either rehome or try and reintegrate him after a week or so but if he really is just that stupid then maybe it would be better to just cull.

I just wanted to say I have a year old rooster that actually went after two of my 12 week old pullets to mate the other day, so it does happen. He had been living with these pullets as well as the hens with no issues for several weeks but he has started harassing the too young pullets. we had to segregate him while we figure out what to do. So you have never seen a rooster, even young cockerels go after immature pullets? Hm I was going to try to either rehome or try and reintegrate him after a week or so but if he really is just that stupid then maybe it would be better to just cull.

Sorry... immature pullets yes. Even their own brood mates will try to breed them at that age as the boys often mature sexually faster than the girls do. :( Young cockerels are the worst. :he

But so far, I haven't had them (rooster/cockerel), go after chicks that a broody was raising with the intent to breed them or harm them. Of course that could change tomorrow. Each day is a new experience... And each chicken is an individual.

12 weeks means the girls are getting close to breeding age even if they aren't ready yet. The boys can sense these hormonal changes that we cannot. But you may notice the combs starting to turn pinker. The boys will be attracted to and want to go after the ones they can tell are highly fertile... or at least almost.

I might not take his head off just yet! Although I would expect him to continue trying to mate them, unless separated until after they are ready at which point he will still try to mate them. :bun Eventually they will submit to him and he will do his thing, if that's what you allow. Although I think it looks/sounds brutal (and I personally won't allow it towards girls of yours age), I will say that roosters don't have penises so it is kinda like rubbing belly buttons. But that doesn't mean that injury cannot occur. :barnie

If he is OK with your other ladies (not too rough, doesn't focus on a favorite girl too much, calls them to treats, stands guard while they dust bathe, drops his wing and does a little shuffle and serenade) and you like having him around.. I would find a way to keep the young & him apart or let em work it out. Or like you say try again in a couple of weeks. He will still mature a bit more from this point. So if he isn't human aggressive by now, that's actually a really good starting point! :)

Prior to him harassing the young pullets, they weren't putting out certain hormonal vibes... would be my true assessment. Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I hope this helps you to feel better about your boy and/or make a decision either way that's in the best interest of your flock. :fl

Keeping roosters isn't for everybody. I keep my roosters separate and let them mingle only when I want them to, partly because they will also often target the weaker/more submissive girls. But also because I wish to control my breeding genetics. But several times the thought of not dealing with roos has crossed my mind because my girls are plenty happy, if not even more at peace without some horny ol' roo (doing what comes natural) pestering them. :tongue Some of the girls do enjoy hanging around the boys to though. :love

Back
Top Bottom