Will my rooster stop damaging my hens when he's older?

Never seen it before, but less things surprise me these days. :pop

6 years seems like a nice ripe age! What do you feed?

I wouldn't think I would want to use an old guy for fathering chicks for too long. Seems like fertility could drop and rates of deformity may increase. :confused: Anyways, I would maybe try to keep one of his sons. Though the over throw is rarely fun to see. :barnie

Also, older animals can become grumpy as aches and pains set in.

You make good excellent points, thanks very much. I'm not sure I could handle watching an overthrow having seen a quite horrible one in the past. We thought we'd timed it all out, but, nope. There are so few chickens here, they pass on of old age, and it's nice to have a replacement hen.

I hadn't thought of aches and pains, great point. Do you know if anything safe and natural can be added to feed to help with that? They're fed pellets, hen scratch, garden vegetable leaves - kale, etc, and grass.

So far, hens can generally outmaneuver him in their house, and after the garden is harvested, everyone will head out into the orchard. Maybe the space will help.

Thanks for replying, appreciate it.

You make good excellent points, thanks very much. I'm not sure I could handle watching an overthrow having seen a quite horrible one in the past. We thought we'd timed it all out, but, nope. There are so few chickens here, they pass on of old age, and it's nice to have a replacement hen.

I hadn't thought of aches and pains, great point. Do you know if anything safe and natural can be added to feed to help with that? They're fed pellets, hen scratch, garden vegetable leaves - kale, etc, and grass.

So far, hens can generally outmaneuver him in their house, and after the garden is harvested, everyone will head out into the orchard. Maybe the space will help.

Are you on the coast? We might be neighbors!

You mean you feed layer pellets? That's definitely a good life. Only thing I would suggest would be maybe offering him a lower calcium diet since that can cause gout/ kidney issues long term. But he's already been eating it long term and you aren't NOTICING any issues, so I might not worry about it. I avoid scratch because it's like candy bars, lots of calories and not much nutrients. Birds eat to meet their energy (calorie) need, not their nutrient need. Scratch is low in protein, and it's the amino acids that are in the protein that count.

I hate to be conjuring up any voodoo.. but you might add a little unfiltered, raw, apple cider vinegar to the water for a probiotic boost once a month or so. You would have to research the right amount though. Since I ferment my chicken feed which already makes it a little more acidic and has more probiotics, I don't do the acv. Check out the link in my signature line if you wish to learn about the benefits. Supposedly, a little fresh chopped garlic on occasion will do the same thing.

If you have a chicken that is injured, I know you can use aspirin in the water. But I do not know the amount and isn't something I would use as a long term anti inflammatory since aspirin *can* cause ulcers.

To me the best thing you can do is... keep it simple! :old Provide a balanced (most often formulated) diet and good living conditions. :D :highfive:

Thanks so much for the information. Apple cider vinegar isn't voodoo! I'll look into it and imagine chopped garlic is good for whatever ails. However I wonder if it translates into flavored eggs--:)

It's impressive that you prepare your own chicken feed. Yes, these pellets are layer pellets, and hen scratch is generally a treat on a cold day. They do love it then, and it's hard for me to resist them -- they have me well trained. I'll watch for anything that might suggest gout or kidney issues, it's good to know about that, thanks.

You make a good point about aspirin. I'm thinking components and doses might be tricky, and this rooster doesn't appear to be in pain. Certainly he could have arthritis though. I agree, keeping it simple is best. He has a good life right now, the chicken yard is not small, and there are always bugs and worms around. The yard is covered, but he enjoys warning everybody about hawks flying past anyway, or whenever he hears something he doesn't recognize. Comes up and enjoys listening to anyone talking to him too. He's a really nice chicken.

It's occurred to me that this more intense behavior has shown up especially since last year, when a hen hatched out a few of his chicks. No idea if that means anything.

I'm a couple of hours from the coast and love the ocean, it's lifebreath. You're probably closer but we're distant neighbors anyway!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I'm grateful and will post about anything I notice. Thanks for the link, too. :highfive:

No, I don't prepare my own chicken feed. I just ferment the formulated ration.

Since I have all ages and genders in my flock most the time I use Purina Flock Raiser with 20% protein and oyster shell on the side. It's supposed to be sufficient for my ducks as well, but I need to do more research.

Sounds like your flock is in good hands. :thumbsup

Thanks.
Yours is too, and that's a multi-layered flock of many kinds. Challenging for sure.
Thank you for that link. It's interesting information and I enjoyed reading it. :)

I posted a recent question about the current rooster living here, at least 6 years old, who has been acting unnaturally aggressive (for him) with the hens. There aren't many hens, and they are in a chicken yard until the garden is down in the fall, but this has been unusual for him.
Two hens caught the brunt of it. Then they went broody. I didn't let them have eggs but did let them 'relax' for a while, because I saw to my horror that they needed to heal from some wounds (enter neosporin salve). One is now coming out of being broody, and the other is beginning to stir a little.
Their hormones are changing, and now that they are moving around a little more, the rooster is returning back to his old, more stable self.
I'm guessing this was nature manifested. I just hadn't seen it so pronounced before, in any rooster, and was astonished. This is the same rooster who earlier this year fluffed up nest boxes and called hens in to them. The same rooster who has been functional but placid and sweet natured ever since he's been at home here, and that's been several years. The same one who comes over and clearly and politely listens to you whenever you're talking to the chickens. And who has never been aggressive to people.
Conclusion if there is one: I have so much to learn! This has to be about chemistry leading to behavior, but this was so.....overt. What a relief that he's returning to his normal self. He isn't quite there yet, but the chicken yard is a much more peaceful place. Breathing a deep sigh of relief.
If anyone knows more about this or articles about it, I'd love to learn. Thanks very much.
chickens11.11.14.jpg

I posted a recent question about the current rooster living here, at least 6 years old, who has been acting unnaturally aggressive (for him) with the hens. There aren't many hens, and they are in a chicken yard until the garden is down in the fall, but this has been unusual for him.
Two hens caught the brunt of it. Then they went broody. I didn't let them have eggs but did let them 'relax' for a while, because I saw to my horror that they needed to heal from some wounds (enter neosporin salve). One is now coming out of being broody, and the other is beginning to stir a little.
Their hormones are changing, and now that they are moving around a little more, the rooster is returning back to his old, more stable self.
I'm guessing this was nature manifested. I just hadn't seen it so pronounced before, in any rooster, and was astonished. This is the same rooster who earlier this year fluffed up nest boxes and called hens in to them. The same rooster who has been functional but placid and sweet natured ever since he's been at home here, and that's been several years. The same one who comes over and clearly and politely listens to you whenever you're talking to the chickens. And who has never been aggressive to people.
Conclusion if there is one: I have so much to learn! This has to be about chemistry leading to behavior, but this was so.....overt. What a relief that he's returning to his normal self. He isn't quite there yet, but the chicken yard is a much more peaceful place. Breathing a deep sigh of relief.
If anyone knows more about this or articles about it, I'd love to learn. Thanks very much.View attachment 1083873

Probably hormonal... midlife crisis, maybe he was on his menses...

Trust me, men do have "that time of the month" as well... they just don't have they physical symptoms. :confused:

But animals do seem to have a heightened sense of hormones in each other. My young cockerels usually go for a fertile hen before they will go for an easier target that isn't yet fertile of their same age. There are things they sense that we don't.

Hopefully he continues to recover. :smack He sounds like a fantastic boy! :love

I think you're right, they do sense. What you've written about your young roosters is interesting -- thanks very much for sharing that.
Yes, he's a great chicken, and it's so nice that everybody is more peaceful now, less tension for all. :D

Back
Top Bottom