Will my turkey hen be upset if I take her newborn poults?

FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
I have a hen sitting on a clutch of eggs and this morning I woke up to two new poults and more on the way. I plan on selling them so I thought it would be better if I removed the chicks when they’re only a few hours old rather than letting her raise them up and me taking them whenever someone wants one. I know it sounds silly worrying about something like this but I just feel a little bad taking the babies she worked hard to hatch

She isn't an incubator.. are you gonna allow her to raise some of them or planning to take them all?

I side with your conscience! Sounds like you care, either way.

Personally, I would let her raise them until they are sold and remove them from under her during the dark the night before pickup... simply to reduce the brooding work required on my part but also stress on the birds, no chasing and she won't see me being the predator (yes I've been flogged and scolded). My actual *preference* is to sell after SHE weens them. So precious to see the little family. ;)

It's not silly at all for you to consider your hen, that's the power of higher thinking! :highfive:

There may be reasons to remove the poults.. like staggered hatch (caused by other hens laying eggs after sitting began), inexperienced or murderous hen, poor set up to support brooding, too many predators, over crowding, etc. The hen will adjust and move forward no matter what we do. So please do what *seems* right for you, the hen, the poults, your flock, and so on.. no two situations will ever be exactly the same

Older babies are usually upset when separated from brood mates or the mum if they are used to them.. but it passes quickly as long as they still have some same species company (in my experience).

Consideration is good! But I would also recommend not overthinking it. Keep it fun! Do your best according your current comprehension and needs and make adjustments to future practice if experience suggest. I would never sell just one poult, since turkeys don't thrive alone.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us and congrats on your babies and their proud mom! :jumpy

She isn't an incubator.. are you gonna allow her to raise some of them or planning to take them all?

I side with your conscience! Sounds like you care, either way.

Personally, I would let her raise them until they are sold and remove them from under her during the dark the night before pickup... simply to reduce the brooding work required on my part but also stress on the birds, no chasing and she won't see me being the predator (yes I've been flogged and scolded). My actual *preference* is to sell after SHE weens them. So precious to see the little family. ;)

It's not silly at all for you to consider your hen, that's the power of higher thinking! :highfive:

There may be reasons to remove the poults.. like staggered hatch (caused by other hens laying eggs after sitting began), inexperienced or murderous hen, poor set up to support brooding, too many predators, over crowding, etc. The hen will adjust and move forward no matter what we do. So please do what *seems* right for you, the hen, the poults, your flock, and so on.. no two situations will ever be exactly the same

Older babies are usually upset when separated from brood mates or the mum if they are used to them.. but it passes quickly as long as they still have some same species company (in my experience).

Consideration is good! But I would also recommend not overthinking it. Keep it fun! Do your best according your current comprehension and needs and make adjustments to future practice if experience suggest. I would never sell just one poult, since turkeys don't thrive alone.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us and congrats on your babies and their proud mom! :jumpy
After I thought on it more I decided I’m gonna set aside 4 of the 10 and let her have those poults. Give her a small amount since it’s her first time and see how it goes from there

I've heard turkey moms aren't too bright and have seen occasions where the babies have ended up getting trampled (though that mom did have medical issues and was in a rescue setting).

Maybe keep a close eye on her? My flock's far too young for these kinds of woes just yet - it'll be an issue for next season with me, I'm sure.

I have a hen sitting on a clutch of eggs and this morning I woke up to two new poults and more on the way. I plan on selling them so I thought it would be better if I removed the chicks when they’re only a few hours old rather than letting her raise them up and me taking them whenever someone wants one. I know it sounds silly worrying about something like this but I just feel a little bad taking the babies she worked hard to hatch
Like eggsighted4life said, It's not silly at all! It shows you care about her wellbeing! I side with your conscience also- Birds are smarter than people give them credit for, and watching hens become mothers is incredibly rewarded.
I would let her keep them, let her raise her babies she's worked so hard to create! And then once they're a little older and less dependant on her, sell them to good homes. I don't know a lot about turkeys, but from what I know, it'd be better this way

Back
Top Bottom