Will one of my EEs hatch some meat bird hatching eggs?

Vtchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Rutland, VT
I currently have 6 EE girls and was thinking of trying some meat birds (6) this year. Before I go and build a whole new setup for the meaties, i was wondering if I ordered some hatching eggs, will one of my girls do all the hard work for me and raise them as her own? My current set up is a 4x8 coop, and a 10x20 fully enclosed run. I also have a 4x10 portable hoop run that is attached to a chicken hallway coming off of my big run. I move the portable run between 6 different spots in the hallway so the girls always have fresh grass in the summer.

I forgot to mention, if i go with a differnt setup or one of the girls does not feel motherly, i will buy chicks and raise them the same way i did the eggers.

Broody hens will usually incubate any kind of poultry egg you put under them, chicken, duck, turkey, guinea, or goose. And they'll tend to the babies that hatch from them with little concern as to their species. The trick is to get them to go broody, and that seems to happen only when the little voices only they can hear in their heads speak to them.

I don't think that EEs generally are a broody breed, although individual results may vary.

And I don't know if you can buy Cornish X Rock eggs to hatch. If so, the chicks will mature in 8-10 weeks. Your hen may be ready to abandon them after just a few weeks. They need to be raised in a different way than regular chicks.

Broody hens will usually incubate any kind of poultry egg you put under them, chicken, duck, turkey, guinea, or goose. And they'll tend to the babies that hatch from them with little concern as to their species. The trick is to get them to go broody, and that seems to happen only when the little voices only they can hear in their heads speak to them.

I don't think that EEs generally are a broody breed, although individual results may vary.

And I don't know if you can buy Cornish X Rock eggs to hatch. If so, the chicks will mature in 8-10 weeks. Your hen may be ready to abandon them after just a few weeks. They need to be raised in a different way than regular chicks.
X2

and watch what happens when a hen sees her 'Baby' duckling or goslings go swimming
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom