Will OSB be okay during Wisconsin winters?

2y4life

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
So I am going to build a coop and am on a tight budget. Can I get away with building a chicken coop using OSB without painting it? Winters here in Wisconsin are brutal but it doesn't rain much. WIll it hold for at least 5 years? Thanks ahead of time for those taking the time to reply

HI there!

I'm in St. Paul, MN and also share the budgetary concerns! What I did is search craigslist for an insulated doghouse to convert into a coop. I found a 4x6 insulated doghouse for $30! I will have about $100 in mods to do to it, but thats still a steal!

Good luck!

I would paint it. For some reason chicken poop gets everywhere and is easy to clean off if painted. Where is WI. I am in Prescott, WI

OSB isn't made to withstand exposure to the elements.
Even treated plywood won't hold up for very long without painting or retreating

Last edited:
Our winters here are probably no milder than yours, and there is a horse barn two properties down from us that was sheathed in unpainted OSB for at least 5 years before they finally broke down and put siding over it. (I don't know how much longer it was there before we moved in). I would say that it "worked", but definitely did seem to be nearing the end of its useful lifespan. I assume that's why they finally sprung for siding
tongue.png

Painted OSB would last a bit longer, if painted well and kept up with.

I can't help saying that it seems kind of wasteful to me to use materials in a 'throwaway' fashion when other longer-lasting ones are not THAT much more expensive... but I also do understand that sometimes it DOESN'T make sense to build things for the ages
wink.png
, and in that case I think that painted OSB would be a "not unreasonable" choice if your time limit is truly just 5 years.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks for all the advice. The difference in the price for my loft I'm planning to build between OSB and plywood is roughly $70. Gotta make my decision soon. Thanks for all the replies.

Maybe look for free wood on craigslist? I know a few people that have build very nice coops for free by getting free stuff from the site.

I'm using OSB in a building that was build last fall, I will be painting it this spring as soon as the weather cooperates. (6 inches of snow yesterday
tongue.gif
)

I would really check out the oops paint and clearance paint sections. That's a really good idea. Not all the colors are bad, just not what the person wanted or what would exactly match what they already had. Or they have only a can or two left of a particular color and want to sell it cheap. Not all paint has to be really expensive. It's really worth it to paint, even with plywood.

We do get a lot of rain, as well as the snow. I think it's somewhere around 33" a year in precipitation. Not all of it is snow.

Back
Top Bottom