Will our ducks ever "NOT" think that we are axe murders?

Azure Moon

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Gregory,Michigan
We have 3 Swedish Blues, 2 Welsh harlequin's, and one Black Indian Runner. And no matter what we do... You would think that we are trying to kill them. I have tried everything to get them to warm up to us... Even if its just a little bit. HELP! lol

I have two of ten Buff Orpington ducks purchased in 2009 as day old ducklings, and EVERY ONE of them has always considered humans with utmost suspicion. It's a little annoying, but they are otherwise highly entertaining (and still laying eggs, although fewer each year). They are very conversational with humans, and of course make sure the chickens never forget who are the queens of the poultry yard!

I have 3 Mallards, 2 Khakis, and a Buff who are grown, and they have hated me since day one. On the other hand, I also have 3 ducklings that I got almost a month ago: 2 Cayugas and a Blue Runner, and they are super loving and cuddly. There are a couple philosophies that I have picked up from keeping ducks-the fewer you have, the better, since it seems in my experience that they follow one another's behavior, no matter how awful. My six bonded to each other rather than me, and if I stuck my hand in the brooder, when one screamed, all the rest went absolutely beserk and screamed, too. The new ducklings are so much nicer, and they have imprinted on me magnificently, which I am SO grateful for. The other philosophy is that since my older ducks can't stand to be touched or petted, I will respect their wishes and not do so; lately, this treatment has been working to some degree. They actually will approach me now, and are less afraid of being within a foot of me (whereas before, they refused to come closer to me than 8 feet away). Treats are another good way to earn ducks' trust, especially peas and corn, which they naturally attack ravenously.
smile.png
Believe it or not, the unfriendly ducks are finally eating out of my hand. At last!

-Alexandra33

Last edited:
I have 3 Mallards, 2 Khakis, and a Buff who are grown, and they have hated me since day one. On the other hand, I also have 3 ducklings that I got almost a month ago: 2 Cayugas and a Blue Runner, and they are super loving and cuddly. There are a couple philosophies that I have picked up from keeping ducks-the fewer you have, the better, since it seems in my experience that they follow one another's behavior, no matter how awful. My six bonded to each other rather than me, and if I stuck my hand in the brooder, when one screamed, all the rest went absolutely beserk and screamed, too. The new ducklings are so much nicer, and they have imprinted on me magnificently, which I am SO grateful for. The other philosophy is that since my older ducks can't stand to be touched or petted, I will respect their wishes and not do so; lately, this treatment has been working to some degree. They actually will approach me now, and are less afraid of being within a foot of me (whereas before, they refused to come closer to me than 8 feet away). Treats are another good way to earn ducks' trust, especially peas and corn, which they naturally attack ravenously. :)  Believe it or not, the unfriendly ducks are finally eating out of my hand. At last!

-Alexandra33

What treats do you give them?

We have 3 Swedish Blues, 2 Welsh harlequin's, and one Black Indian Runner. And no matter what we do... You would think that we are trying to kill them. I have tried everything to get them to warm up to us... Even if its just a little bit. HELP! lol

Are they young? Ducks, like children, go through phases where their fear instincts kick in and are very strong.

My Runners got like this at Day 21. Advice from members here was:

Approach as low as possible - anything taller than they are frightens them
Avoid cornering them - very scary to them
Avoid surprising them by coming into sight suddenly without audible warning- make noises as you approach the brooder
Spend time near them without reaching for them. Roll them some treats, see if they will warm up to that.
Be patient - it can take weeks for them to calm down.

I followed the advice and I have one of the friendliest flocks of ducks I know of. But it did take weeks.

My Runners got like this at Day 21. Advice from members here was:

Approach as low as possible - anything taller than they are frightens them
Avoid cornering them - very scary to them
Avoid surprising them by coming into sight suddenly without audible warning- make noises as you approach the brooder
Spend time near them without reaching for them. Roll them some treats, see if they will warm up to that.
Be patient - it can take weeks for them to calm down.

I followed the advice and I have one of the friendliest flocks of ducks I know of. But it did take weeks.

This is excellent advise. ^

I also recommend hand feeding. Peas and blueberries are by far my babies favorites. They are frightened by house guests but they are not picky when it comes to treats. :) Good luck!

Azure Moon, I am so sorry for the late reply due to an internet outage. I've tried feeding my ducks a variety of treats, but the only things that they really end up eating are peas, corn, and, believe it or not, little pieces of bread or good-quality hot dog buns free of preservatives, hydrogenated oil, and l-cysteine. It is common knowledge that bread is a highly controversial food to give ducks, and I am aware of this, but I only feed it to them on occasion and in VERY limited quantities. They love it, though, and beg persistently.

-Alexandra33

Another small tip: birds are less uncomfortable if you don't make eye contact. If you turn your head/body the other way, they won't be quite as scared.

Once they pass one year, they tend to quiet down and be a little less scared.

Back
Top Bottom