Will peafowl attack my chickens?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm not sure this really fit the predators & pests section but I had a quick question. I have a neighbor that lives about a quarter mile away and she has 10 peacocks. I have never seen them before down as far as my property but my birds were making a huge racket this morning and I think they called the peafowl in. The peafowl are honking and scaring my chickens but mostly they are sitting on the fence watching them. Is there any risk to the safety of my chickens or turkeys?

I was thinking of spraying them with the hose but I probably won't do that unless they pose a real threat. I wish my rooster was still alive, I wonder how he'd respond to all this.

from what I have read peacocks are very curious, but can live with chickens and turkeys...but I dont know if they have to be raised together or not, or how two separate flocks would act, I would think so far from home they would not be territorial towards your chickens and are probably just checking them out...I believe that peacocks are at the top of the pecking order even over geese, but I dont know if they would kill one or not...I would watch them for a while just to be safe...I want peacocks SOOOOO bad!
droolin.gif
I am hoping to get some next year
fl.gif
If they were my neighbors I would be enjoying the view..... and begging for some eggs to hatch haha....but I do know that some feel they are a pest...O well, I'll take them all! haha I wonder how good they are at protecting their flock...better than a rooster or worse? I wonder if raised with chickens if they would look after hens as well? hummm I wonder haha Good Luck With Your Chicken and their visitors :)

I hatched some chickens in February. About 5 of them charged the peacocks and I think they scared the daylights out of each other. It was really funny. I never much cared for peafowl but after looking at these guys up close they are actually pretty neat. I'm up to my ears in poultry and so I probably won't get any. Everything is good as of right now and I'm about to jet to a Memorial Day BBQ. Let's hope I don't have any gruesome updates when I get home.

Thanks.

Our peafowl are freeranged on our property. They do sometimes get into a tiff with the chickens. They pretty much fly into any pen they want and most of the time there are no fights I do believe that the male peacock did get into my brooder house and kill 6 chicks that were in a brooder inside. THey were pecked so badly DH had to cull the ones that were not dead. Since that time I make sure they can not get inside of that house otherwise no problems

Mine are penned with roosters that are too mean to stay out free ranging (little kids coming to visit where they are staying), and the roosters don't go after the peacocks after the first time, and the peacocks ignore the roosters unless the roosters start fights with each other. Then the peacocks break up the fights. Outside of those times, I never see them bother with one another.

My peahens do like to mess with and torment my bantams. And they love kicking the hens off their nests. My peacock male, however, doesn't pay them any attention and right now I have him in a pen indefinitely (trying to attack my car
somad.gif
) with a mother bantam and her new babies and he doesn't bother them at all.

Hi everyone!

I have my first two peafowl - 6 month old boy and girl, I just stumbled upon this post because we've had some sick Rosellas (native parrot in Australia) around here and one stumbled into the peafowl enclosure today and whilst the boy did his best 'fancy pants' tail display at the Rosella the girl started attacking the bird?
hu.gif
She ran up, started pecking and then stood on the (quite small) parrot.

Does anyone know if this is normal? they are currently living with ducks and are ok with them but will chase the ducks away from food.

Thanks!

peafowl generally docile, but curious birds. they like to know everything. they never attacked my geese, ducks, chickens etc. but they do enjoy goosing my blind dog from time to time. I think they don't understand why she doesn't get out of their way. they like to watch me thru the windows etc. they are competitive eaters however and do push my cats out of the way if I don't stay there while they eat.

Back
Top Bottom