Will peahen lay eggs if not fertile?

Two year old males can breed, but they should be in a pen without an adult peacock that will compeat with him and probably get all the peahens. My two year old peacock Alto mated with his two year old girlfriend Pip just recently. I am not sure if the eggs will be any good but I was surprised he was able to considering he lives in the same pen as my four year old peacock Dragon. I think they also have to have an eye feather to be fertile. Alto has only one eye feather.

Last year I had a two year old with no train just greenish tail feathers produce at least one fertile egg. We put it in the incubator no expecting anything but it started to develop, it stopped around day 20 I think. I was so shocked.

C&Rman :

Ok quick question, a 2yr old male can breed? I am going to be getting one.
Also
welcome-byc.gif
SunBaked
big_smile.png

Yes all my 2 yr old males have been fertile.....now thats not true with greens or real high % spladings.​

Quote:
Sound like a cameo.......you would be lucky if its a peach. Cameo were the first light brown peafowl......sex link too

Thank you for the welcome
smile.png
I'm liking this site.

Today I talked to a lady in town with some peafowl (bought some silver pheasant chicks from her. They are soooo cute!) and she said it sounds like he is a black shoulder juvenile. I looked up a few pictures and I think she's right. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a new usb cord for my camera. I'm not sure what he is myself. We adopted 2 peahens from a bird rescue and they had a white peacock in the pen with them. When I brought them home they laid eggs for a few days and I placed them under my momma peahen that was sitting. Two of those hatched into him and a pure white girl. I'm pretty sure she's a girl anyway since she is about an inch or 2 shorter than he is.

Quote:
Ok he will be the only male I have! So he should be able to do the job well, I hope. There are wild peacocks around here, so hopefully that won't be a challenge for him. There are 2 males around here but the oldest one looks to be 2 years old. He has 1-2 eye feathers. The one I am getting has like 5 or 6.

So I candled the eggs and 3/5 eggs have babies in them and one of them even had movement. I'll try to get a few pictures on the next candling. I guess my yearling is an early bloomer.
smile.png
I left the 2 eggs without babies in the incubator just in case though. All of my frizzled cochin eggs and the Egyptian Fayoumi egg also have babies and most had movement. Looking like this is gonna be a pretty good first hatch. Well....except for the frizzled egg my husband cracked...patched it with wax so it'll hopefully be okay.

Last edited:
ya.gif
That is great! It is great that you saw movement too I hope they develop well. Last year when I candled the peafowl eggs I tried to take a picture, but my camera just couldn't capture the glow of the egg that well...I have seen some good egg candling pictures though so I know it is possible to get pictures of it.

I tried to take some pictures but they didn't come out well. Here is the best one (I'll try again 2-3 days or so, don't wanna move them around to much):

88718_cowz_312.jpg

The little black blobs inside move with the egg when I tilt it, is that normal? I can already see an air pocket inside 2 of them. it seems kinda big so I'm going to up the humidity a little bit.

Here is a picture of one of my frizzle cochin eggs that came out okay:
88718_cowz_311.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom