Will Pekin ducks hatch their own eggs??

I have four pekins right now.... all hens..... and was hoping to get a drake sometime this summer/spring, and I had heard that Pekins aren't good mothers and don't pay much attention to their eggs.... is that true? If so, will I have to take the eggs in and "mother" them with my incubator...... ???? Or will the pekins do a good job with them? I really want to know and have not been able to find any place that has that info.

I have four pekins right now.... all hens..... and was hoping to get a drake sometime this summer/spring, and I had heard that Pekins aren't good mothers and don't pay much attention to their eggs.... is that true? If so, will I have to take the eggs in and "mother" them with my incubator...... ???? Or will the pekins do a good job with them? I really want to know and have not been able to find any place that has that info.
Your pekin might sit on the eggs but might not long enough and good enough for them to hatch. Some hens are different than others. I would try to see if she lays on the eggs for a hour or so straight. If she gets up to go get food or water or stretch her legs then she goes right back to her eggs as fast as she can. That means she is trying to hatch them and I would leave them and maybe check back again to see if she is on them. But if she just gets up and does her regular stuff and leaves the eggs take them in immediately and put them in a incubator.

I had Jumbo Pekins years ago and was told they wouldn't breed but behold,:wee:wee one of the hens disappeared for a wile then showed up about a month later with 10 ducklings . She had set under my brothers snow mobile that was covered with a tarp .

Back
Top Bottom