will predators READILY cross an open space to kill? (PICS)

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
my 7000 sq. ft. pen is 75 to 125 feet from the nearest woods.

that is, it is quite out in the open.

I have never seen the following:

possum
raccoon
skunk
fisher

I have very rarelyseen:

signs of bear
coyote
red fox
one frozen mink
2 dead short tailed weasel

I wonder if many of these predators, esp. the smaller ones, would really dare to cross the wide open area in broad daylight to get at one of our ducks.

Maybe if starving or with a bunch of babies. but i really wonder.

i know they are out there...............

we've got a golden, two cats, and there are often people out around the pen during the day..............

SetupfromNW.jpg

SetupfromE.jpg

could be a dangerous foray for a little weasel, mink......................again i have NEVER seen all kinds of things as i mentioned

Last edited:
I'm set up the same way...open all around my fenced property. I DO think a predator would risk it if it was hungry enough. I know we've had raccoons and skunks come over (which surprised me). Coyotes are all around, but I think between our perimeter fence and the scent of my dogs, they haven't come in close.

Foxes will walk right in day or night to catch a chicken! Coons and possums will not hesitate at night to stroll right into your coop areas...
I would think hungry and what YOU would do for a double cheeseburger....
big_smile.png

The answer is yes if there hungry theres nothing that will hold them back not even a fresh worked ground on my land I have no trees exept the few pecan and mulberrys in my yard its 640 acres of wheat fields and burmuda grass. and I see them all the time just trotting along I wont begin to name the predators I have seen in the open spaces I think it falls just short of a pink poka dotted elephant.
sad.png

Quote:
You need something a might stronger than soda pop to see one of them, now I know of several folks that claimed to have seen such critters, even one that flew. I think he got arrested for illegal possession of controlled substances.

Quote:
You need something a might stronger than soda pop to see one of them, now I know of several folks that claimed to have seen such critters, even one that flew. I think he got arrested for illegal possession of controlled substances.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
I totally agree...if they are hungry enough, it won't stop any predator. They will just wait until there is low light or it gets dark and then make their attack run.

JMC, I like your set up! Looks pretty cool.

Fox here are about worst for daytime kill's.I had a guy once at 12:30 Pm stop to tell me fox was in my chickens Close to house.Coyote, coon's etc. Generaly hunt at night.We have spotted coon's before total dark.I saw a young Coyote this summer just walking down middle of road at 6:45 am and was daylight.Spring month's are absolute worst for fox.They have kit's spring and will make several kills in one night and bury and then when the kits grow they will try and teach them to hunt summer..Think this year the pest has been Hawk's
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom