Will pullets begin laying in winter?

Most of my girls do become a bit friendlier after they've begun laying. But that can also be a very individual thing. They don't like me to follow them and try to pick up. But if I hang out in the run, they make their rounds and quite a few will jump on my lap a chat for a few minutes. Have 2 that will nap for a while.
smile.png

Not all birds will squat even if they are laying. Also, I just quickly put my hand over their back when they walk past me when I am standing there to test. Again, if I'm stalking them they are trying to move away from me. If you really need to handle them, once they've gone to roost is usually the easiest time.

My girls completely ignore the lay boxes until they get close. Then I usually notice pacing back and forth, in and out, moving bedding around in the boxes as they get close the practice. They might even sit in there, sing, and still have no egg. It is a process they are working out still. Another indicator is the cackling, "squawk, walk, alk, alk". I also sometimes find softees as the girls are just coming into lay.

Waiting can be so hard!
barnie.gif
But the pay off is coming!
yesss.gif

Sooo, chicks born this year who don't start to lay until next spring will still molt next fall?? That could make a huge difference in what time of year I raise chicks in the future. Because then you go without eggs every fall from chicks born late in the year, if that is true.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom