Will Quail stay around like chickens

ChickenGuy53

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2015
Middle of nowhere
I was wanting to get some quail and was wondering if I kept them in my chicken house long enough if they would be alright to turn out and then if they would come back in like chickens???

Thanks For All The Help!!!!!!!!!!!9

I was wanting to get some quail and was wondering if I kept them in my chicken house long enough if they would be alright to turn out and then if they would come back in like chickens???

Thanks For All The Help!!!!!!!!!!!9

no, you will never see them again if they get out.

no, you will never see them again if they get out.
Well this is not entirely true in some cases, I had a male get out and all he did was run around the females cages, I also had a female get out when I was feeding and she just hung around. But generally you will loose them yes. They could care less about you.

Disclaimer: In no way do I intend my experience to be used as a reliable standard for quail behaviour

I have once, and once only, successfully free ranged quail.

I'd let them out sometimes during the day and round them up in the evenings. Never had to clip their wings or anything. I did try once again a few years later with different birds but you can probably imagine how that went.
roll.png
Easily the two smartest birds I've ever owned.

I had a white Bob white fly out the 14"x14" door of my pen monday..... I heard it that evening in the CRP ground next to me. yeah its gone...... A all white bird dont hide too good....

One trick is to keep half of them in a cage on the ground and the rest will generally stay around. Next day switch them out. This is a popular trick with hunting dog people.

Back
Top Bottom