Will rats kill baby chicks?

OMG - that's brilliant! How tall is a plastic feed barrel? I understand why the rodent would follow the p.butter trail up the board, but how do you get them to jump into the barrel? Really love this idea - please tell me more!
There's not a lot of peanut butter on the board--but there's quite a lot of feed in the four-foot high plastic or cardboard barrel. Besides, rats are naturally curious, and mice are naturally stupid. Just leave enough empty space that the larger rats can't jump out. Feed's kind of like sand, which helps--it's difficult to launch off a sliding surface.

There's not a lot of peanut butter on the board--but there's quite a lot of feed in the four-foot high plastic or cardboard barrel. Besides, rats are naturally curious, and mice are naturally stupid. Just leave enough empty space that the larger rats can't jump out. Feed's kind of like sand, which helps--it's difficult to launch off a sliding surface.
Oh, I see - there's still feed in the barrel! I thought you just used an empty barrel, and I didn't know why a rat would jump in there. I wonder how you get the rats out without wasting your feed then, once you have some rats in there? I guess I would be willing to sacrifice some feed if I could get rid of the rats, or else maybe I could put some other goodies that rats might like inside an empty barrel. Either way, that is such a smart idea. It's too stormy today to get it set up, but must try this soon!

Oh, I see - there's still feed in the barrel! I thought you just used an empty barrel, and I didn't know why a rat would jump in there. I wonder how you get the rats out without wasting your feed then, once you have some rats in there? I guess I would be willing to sacrifice some feed if I could get rid of the rats, or else maybe I could put some other goodies that rats might like inside an empty barrel. Either way, that is such a smart idea. It's too stormy today to get it set up, but must try this soon!
After catching the rats, I would drop our big orange and white tomcat "Fluffy" in there with them.

Good mouser.

R.I.P., Fluffy

Rats are no joke. I just lost (woke up this morning) 7 month old baby chicks to what can only be a rat or weasel. 5 were dead and 2 were missing except for what pieces were left of them. I live in south central Florida and have never seen a weasel so I'm blaming a rat. I've never left food out over night due to moisture issues, but I have seen rat poop in the coop occasionally. This is the first time I've lost chicks to rats and my 4th time raising baby chicks. I was surprised to find out rats eat chicks. Make sure to rat proof the coop if you are putting babies out there or you might wake up to a sad surprise like I did. Poison is not an option, but traps are going out tonight.

Yes, rats will kill chicks. There are even reports of rats biting/chewing on human babies. Nothing is safe with rats. The best route would be to rat-proof your coop. Make sure that there are no unsecured holes where rats can squeeze themselves in.

Back
Top Bottom