How big of a chick can a rat get?

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
I am currently dealing with rats in my coop, we have cats to mitigate the issue, but I want to start integrating my baby chicks into the coop. The chicks are in a rat proof brooder in my shed, but I want to move them into the coop and I don’t know if I need to try and fit the brooder into the coop but it might be too big to put through the doorway or if I can put them in a dog crate, which rats would be able to get through. The rats eat the chicken food and don’t bother the big chickens and since I have two cats now, I’m wondering if they would keep the rats away from the chicks or if I need to keep them in the rat proof brooder. Chicks will be 5 weeks on Thursday.

If the chicks roost they should be okay. If they are still piling on the floor I would make sure they are some place rats can't get to them. Rats can and will chew body parts off. Not all cats will hunt rats so it's best to figure out some other plan to get rid of the rats.

If the chicks roost they should be okay. If they are still piling on the floor I would make sure they are some place rats can't get to them. Rats can and will chew body parts off. Not all cats will hunt rats so it's best to figure out some other plan to get rid of the rats.
I think I’ve tried just about everything for these d**n rats. I specifically sought out mousers and they live 100% outdoors, always have. The rats are the bane of my existence. I ended up using the rat proof brooder, it was a huge mess and very heavy to move but I did it 😂

I think I’ve tried just about everything for these d**n rats. I specifically sought out mousers and they live 100% outdoors, always have. The rats are the bane of my existence. I ended up using the rat proof brooder, it was a huge mess and very heavy to move but I did it 😂
We resort to poison when necessary here. We've had no luck trapping rats. We use the bait box with the blocks and put where only the rats can access it. I had a rat chew the head off a duckling this spring. Never seen that before and never wish to see it again.

We resort to poison when necessary here. We've had no luck trapping rats. We use the bait box with the blocks and put where only the rats can access it. I had a rat chew the head off a duckling this spring. Never seen that before and never wish to see it again.
That sounds horrific.
I tried poison, they just enjoy the chicken food and pay no mind to the poison. Our exterminator was completely shocked

Try locating the entry holes to their den, shoving some solid block bait (not loose grain type) down the holes and then block the holes off with a brick. I have had success with this, and it means the chickens can't get to the bait and poison themselves.

Back
Top Bottom