Will Reflectix lined plywood cause condensation behind it during very cold winters

Magnolia76

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
South Dakota
The coop kit I ordered is not very thick, just a sheet of plywood really. I want to insulate it during the winter with something inexpensive and was thinking of using the roll of reflect to line the inside walls. I have used reflectix before in the windows of an RV during cold periods and it made condensation on the windows (which then turned to ice) I dont know how it would react with wood in a chicken coop. Anyone have any experience? I live in South Dakota, it can get down as cold as -20 below in winter some days.

Welcome to BYC.

If your coop is adequately ventilated insulating it will make little difference in the interior temperature. The point isn't to keep chickens warm, but to keep them dry and out of the wind. :)

Generous ventilation will prevent moisture from building up to condensate:

airflow-crayon-png.3007334

The usual rule is to allow a minimum of 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-size hen.

Here's an article on cold-climate chicken keeping that you'll find helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Welcome to BYC.

If your coop is adequately ventilated insulating it will make little difference in the interior temperature. The point isn't to keep chickens warm, but to keep them dry and out of the wind. :)

Generous ventilation will prevent moisture from building up to condensate:

airflow-crayon-png.3007334

The usual rule is to allow a minimum of 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-size hen.

Here's an article on cold-climate chicken keeping that you'll find helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
Thank you! I didn’t realize that much venting per bird wow!

Thank you! I didn’t realize that much venting per bird wow!

That's a guideline, not a hard-and-fast rule, but it's usually considered a minimum. As a rule of thumb, the inside of the coop and the outside should be approximately the same temperature (actual temperature, not wind chill). Dry chickens who are out of the wind easily tolerate down to 0F or below.

Chickens, like all birds, have very delicate respiratory systems (remember the canary in the coal mine thing?), and providing them with generous amounts of fresh air is one of the best things you can do to keep them healthy. :)

I'm in the Steamy Southeast, with brutally hot and humid summers so I usually need two or three times that minimum -- or DEEP shade -- to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day. Some people in hot summer/cold winter areas use removable wall panels to compensate for different summer and winter needs.

Anyone have any experience? I live in South Dakota, it can get down as cold as -20 below in winter some days.
I live in NW Montana where it can get into the -20s during the winter. The 6' by 8' coop has 10 square feet of ventilation that is never closed no matter how cold it gets. The roosts are down low so no breeze blows on the birds. Vents are up high, well above the roosts. No insulation. Run is roofed to keep the snow out and 3 sides are covered in clear vinyl during winter to keep the breezes out. Food and water are kept in the run year round. Have never lost a chicken to cold weather.

It was difficult that first year to believe the people on the forums here who said to ventilate the coop instead of heat the coop. However, I decided they were the experts and did as they said. A warm chicken is a dry chicken. A dry chicken is a warm chicken. Never forget that.

I imagine that most people don't worry about their chickens when it's 70 degrees outside. If I were wearing a down jacket with that temperature I'd be a lot more uncomfortable than dealing with cold weather in winter.

Back
Top Bottom