Will rehomed cockerel be ok?

Mddw

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2021
I am seeking input on a situation I’m sure many new chicken keepers face. I am a new backyard chicken owner and did what I will never do again, get 4 chicks from Tractor Supply instead of sexed chicks from a hatchery. They are 12 weeks old and I now have a Cochin Bantam cockerel who started crowing this week for 2 hours straight each morning. I live within city limits and it’s illegal to have a rooster. This scenario is breaking my heart because I already love him. I have only had one person show interest in taking him and letting him live on his farm with his already established hen flock. I have read on here not to do that because he is still young and much smaller than they are. I hate for him to go somewhere by himself when he’s used to being with the other 3 pullets. Will he be ok? Will he miss his ladies back home? Will he adjust to this change? Is this going to ruin his life? I feel TERRIBLE. I even offered to let the girls go with him just so that he isn’t lonely, but the person only wants him to protect his current flock. Am I putting too much emotion into this because I don’t know a lot about chicken behavior? Thanks in advance!

Hi! I'm so sorry. I have 2 bantam Cochin roosters so I know how easy it is to love these guys (in complete transparency, I called my Barred Bantam Cochin "Satan's spawn" whenever he went through a jerk phase because of space needs but once he got the space needed, he's a big ol fluffy love bug). It's not easy to find homes for cockerels and roosters. If you've found him a home where he will have ladies of his own, and be legal at this farm, I'd jump on it quickly. Ask if you will be able to visit him, if that would make you feel better. He is at an age where those hens should be able to train him to be a gentleman easily. Again, I'm so sorry. I wish you the best

Hi! I'm so sorry. I have 2 bantam Cochin roosters so I know how easy it is to love these guys (in complete transparency, I called my Barred Bantam Cochin "Satan's spawn" whenever he went through a jerk phase because of space needs but once he got the space needed, he's a big ol fluffy love bug). It's not easy to find homes for cockerels and roosters. If you've found him a home where he will have ladies of his own, and be legal at this farm, I'd jump on it quickly. Ask if you will be able to visit him, if that would make you feel better. He is at an age where those hens should be able to train him to be a gentleman easily. Again, I'm so sorry. I wish you the best
Thank you!

I am seeking input on a situation I’m sure many new chicken keepers face. I am a new backyard chicken owner and did what I will never do again, get 4 chicks from Tractor Supply instead of sexed chicks from a hatchery. They are 12 weeks old and I now have a Cochin Bantam cockerel who started crowing this week for 2 hours straight each morning. I live within city limits and it’s illegal to have a rooster. This scenario is breaking my heart because I already love him. I have only had one person show interest in taking him and letting him live on his farm with his already established hen flock. I have read on here not to do that because he is still young and much smaller than they are. I hate for him to go somewhere by himself when he’s used to being with the other 3 pullets. Will he be ok? Will he miss his ladies back home? Will he adjust to this change? Is this going to ruin his life? I feel TERRIBLE. I even offered to let the girls go with him just so that he isn’t lonely, but the person only wants him to protect his current flock. Am I putting too much emotion into this because I don’t know a lot about chicken behavior? Thanks in advance!
It’s not your fault, I ordered sexed females from a hatchery, yet still got a male

My best bet for pullets, is to buy feather sexable or sex-linked chicks from a feed store, where they let you choose a chick.
I agree ☝️ ! If* you want guaranteed 100% females you’re better off with sex link chickens. Hatcheries have a 90% guarantee that the pullets they sell you will in fact be pullets.

I ordered White Leghorns due to arrive July so I’ll see how this 90% works out for me. Hopefully I’ll get 100% but I can have roosters so I’ll be fine if one ends up being a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom