Will Removing a Trouble Hen Fix My Problems?

Should I downsize my noisy hens?

• Get rid of the two nosiest and keep the two mellow hens.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Downsizing won't solve your problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How old are these birds?
How much space do they have?

I let the girls out at sun up and they have the whole back yard to scratch around in. I could fence off a section just for her. I don't really have an outbuilding or garage that would work. The noise seems mostly in the morning during the laying hours and I have a feeling it's mostly her complaining. She's the most broody of the group. Here are some pictures from when I set up the coop https://imgur.com/gallery/SLvuSHt I'll try to get something more current up.

Yes, I think if you pull the noisy one, your flock will settle down. And you and they will enjoy it better. Always solve for the peace of the flock. Not every bird works in every situation.

Follow up to this situation. I created a flyer and shared it with my local feed store. Within a few days, I met a nice family that wasn't able to get chickens because of the local disease outbreak that's been going here in the west U.S.

He didn't have any chickens so I gave up my two noisiest ones, leaving me with my two favorites.

It's been a couple of days and so far it's been a world of difference. My two remaining girls are happy and quiet. I'm much happier and not stressed about what's going on in the flock. Even though there are only two of them now, they get along great and keep each other happily occupied. Neither of them has changed personality or started acting like the noisy boss.

Thanks to all of you who helped me with this decision!

It's been more than a week now with only two hens now. I kept my two favorites and the ones that were the most mellow and sweet.

They are still doing very well and keeping relatively quiet. There are occasions where alarm calls go off but they usually have some reason behind them. Other than that they don't seem to be traumatized by losing the other two noisier hens. They're happy little buggers for the most part. We have a fun game where when I do clean-up time, I'll flip over a rock or turn over some soil for them. They'll ruminate on that spot for an hour and can't wait until I come out and do it again.

Back
Top Bottom