Will scalped hen heal completely? graphic pics

Great job you knew exactly what to do.
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif
D.gif
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif

It must be hard to have her separate. We kept mrs. Yellows feather away from her sister for a few days but added her back. We checked on her every 30 minutes for the day to make sure she would not get further damage. The only thing I am not sure about in your situation was that it was damage because of an attack from a fellow chicken. The attack is more likely to take place.

It is hard to know when the right time is but the longer she is way the further down the pecking order she becomes.

Henry and mom

It's funny because they all still hang out together, except she's on the other side of the fence. I work M-F, so I wouldn't be able to supervise her as closely as you were able to. I think I'll wait until her little skull is covered. If the rooster tried to mount her again and attempted to hang on with his beak, I'm afraid she could get hurt again.

Joanne-
I had to do the same since there's not always someone home to check on them. Luckily we have two separate rooms with fencing between them in the big coop so I put her in the smaller. She could still associate and roost with the rest but they couldn't hurt her. Nova has posted pics of the small fence hoop structures she made to separate injured birds - I think it was a few months ago on Ben's thread. I used her idea and made a raised one for my broody. Super easy and cheap to make. Worked great -thanks Nova :) ! Then your hen could easily be inside or outside with the flock safely. (Chicken safe, not predator safe!)

Back
Top Bottom