Will scalped hen heal completely? graphic pics

joannefiddler

Songster
8 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Baker, FL (Western Panhandle)
One of my Australorp hens was injured by my adolecent rooster and I believe was further pecked on by her sisters. When I found her she was standing in the corner of the yard with her head down in an attempt to protect herself from further damage. This all happened about 4 weeks ago. The skin was split on top of her head revealing the white of her skull and the wound wan for about 1.5 inches down her neck. I treated her with blue-kote and created a chicken ICU for her that ajoins the regular coop and run. She is doing wonderfully...laying more faithfully than her sisters! The two pictures show her on the first day of the injury and then about 3.5 weeks later. The skin is healing from the bottom of the wound up. My question is, do you think the skin will eventually cover her whole skull again? Or will it always be open like that. I wonder now if I should have somehow pulled the skin back together, but I heeded warnings that said not to close wounds because it can increase likelyhood of infection. What do you think?

wow, poor thing ! all i can tell you is what happened to my cat. a coyote got a hold on it and ripped a BIG portion of his skin off by shaking it. the vet said the canine teeth made scrapes in the bone. it was disgusting and could not be sewn up because there was not enough skin and the risk of infection. so i had to scrub the wound open every day for a month and let it heal inside out. plus oral antibiotics. i am happy to report the cat is fine today and no bald patches at all ! there was also some type of ointment but i dont remember what it was

Ok... Is the second picture how she looks now? I'd personally keep on doing what you are doing until it is healed all the way. Might even try the new skin product that they have out there... But i'd have to say she looks like she is healing wonderfully.

Our beloved golden comet was attacked by a hawk in August. As soon as we saw her we rushed to her aid. I had read from a magazine to apply antibiotic cream which we used neosporin. I slathered it on quite heavily and only reapplied when it looked dry. Her wounds covered over half her body but she is completely recovered. She has regrown all her feathers and is very happy.

Henry and mom

She's doing wonderfully. I had an australorp with a wide gaping gash in her side. I cleaned it the best I could with clean water (it was like a bottomless hole since a pocket had formed inside and was full of dirt - probably from dustbathing!) She acted 100% fine, I only found out she was injured when I picked her up and felt a hard lump - the dirt pocket. After cleaning it I put blue-kote on it and some antibacterial cream. Didn't think it would ever heal over but it did. It healed from the inside out, but at one point it formed a hard disc of dead tissue that was floating freely yet sticking out of the wound yet healed all around it...if that makes sense? So I softened it up with water and removed it (it wasn't attached!) It magically healed over almost immediately after that.

Last edited:
Wowzers, he must be a very 'enthusiastic' young roo!

I can't offer very much, but it does look like you have done a stand up job getting her this far. I would think if she was not happy she would not be laying as well if at all so that is a gauge of your work too.

I hope everyone else is right, and she make a full recovery back to her former glory with minimal scaring.

Ok... Is the second picture how she looks now? I'd personally keep on doing what you are doing until it is healed all the way. Might even try the new skin product that they have out there... But i'd have to say she looks like she is healing wonderfully.
hi nova !

Thanks for all the responses...I just really wonder if the skin will recover her skull....I guess time will tell. She desperately wants to rejoin the flock...she walks up and down the common fence with the culprit energetic yet clumsy rooster and her sisters and then tries to slip in there when I go thru the door, but until she's healed up all the way I'm afraid they might start pecking at her again.

Back
Top Bottom