Will scalped hen heal completely? graphic pics

Thanks for asking! I still have her separated from the flock in her little mini run that adjoins the main run (they are only separated by chicken wire), because her skull is still not completely covered. I can see progress, but I don't want to put her back in with the group if there's anything unusual about her head--I don't want them to start pecking on her again! She has laid an egg EVERY day for the last 2 weeks, so I couldn't ask for more! When the day comes to put her back with the group, would you suggest doing it at night? Just plopping her down on the roost? or would you do it during the day? I'm glad you asked about her because I've been wondering about how to reintroduce her.

Goodness, I completely missed this thread. I had a hen scalped by a predator some time ago, maybe 2 years ago? Her wound looked very similar to your hen's, but she didn't get pecked, the critter ripped about 2 sq inches of skin right off, exposing the muscle underneath. I treated her with some over the counter antiseptic cream, which was all I had on hand at the time. She made a complete recovery, though it took some weeks. After the skin regrew there was some scarring, but to my surprise she regrew some feathers over the spot, though she had a bit of a bald spot afterwards, it wasn't obvious, unless you looked carefully.

I let her mingle with the rest of the flock under supervision about 3 days after the incident, but kept her separated most of the time. The others were luckily only mildly curious about her wound and didn't peck at it. If I were you I'd give her a bit more time, until the wound is less obvious and then let her mingle with them under supervision for short periods at first and see how it goes.

Best of luck!

Good to hear she is still doing well.

As SUmi says, I would have supervised mingle time to gauge how the flock treat her, then when you are happy to re-introduce her full time slide her onto the roost once everyone has settled in for the night.

I would keep the temp run up for a couple of days though, just incase the situation deteriorates and she (or a bully) needs some time out.

you know, you can take bully out and put hen in. it will change the pecking order.wait a couple weeks then put him back in. and yes ,i would do it at night but make sure you can be there in the morn. to make sure shes ok.

Thank you all for the inputs. I'll give her a bit more time and allow supervised visitation at first! I am encouraged to hear that another gal made a full recovery after similar wound. It is really a wonder to see :)

Back
Top Bottom