Will she ever lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Catus, May 6, 2017.

1. Catus

Catus Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Europe
    I have 4.5 years old ex-battery hen that hasn't laid eggs since last autumn after a very thorough molting (she lost almost all feathers).
    Now it is spring here, new grass is growing and hens have had earthworms, snails etc they have found in the garden, in addition to poultry feed (currently chick feed, as I have 6 weeks old chicks too). Grit has always been available in the coop.
    She looks great, her wattles and comb are nice red, but still no eggs. For about 8 months now.
    The other ex-battery hen (3.5 years old) lays occasionally, but only shell-less or weak-shelled eggs (and eats them), but the older hen hasn't laid even such eggs. She just stopped during molting and that's it. Is there a possibility that she will start to lay again? Or is she too old already?
    I'm not going to kill her anyway, as she is almost the first hen I got and I have enough younger and laying hens.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I don't think that she will lay again... she's old and ready for retirement I would say... she could lay but I wouldn't really count on it

3. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I agree, hens at this age will extremely slow down or just stop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by