Will she stay broody this time??? ** PICS **

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
This is my silver laced cochin- Lacey Bear - she is almost a year old and has been laying eggs since around Dec. Lacey Bear went broody on sat, but only stayed that way for a few hours - she got off her nest and went about her normal day and all day sunday was acting like no big deal --until today she woke up all nice and sweet and loving but when I wento collect eggs this is what I saw

S6300299.jpg

S6300300.jpg

I managed to collect three eggs before almost losing my hand LOL If Lacey Bear stays broody for real this time I will give her back the eggs that were in there and move her to a temp hoop coop ( she does have eggs under her from some of the other girls who already laid today the eggs I got were not all the way under her but I have them in the kitchen waiting to see what she is going to do )

S6300301.jpg

please dont pay attention to the water bowl - it was put in there when she went broody last time I have already cleaned it -- the chicken wire lifts up from the bottom so we can change the water, food and do any cleaning that might be needed

S6300302.jpg

there is a small tote that gives her just enough room to stay nice and cozy the roost can come out to give her more room to walk around

S6300304.jpg

the tarp lifts up all the way so if we need to get to her nest box for whatever reason we can
S6300303.jpg

half of this tarp is fixed in place - but the other half can be folded back to give more sunlight or covered at night or during rain

if Lacey Bear is able to hatch eggs she will stay in here for as long as she wants to be with the babies - and whatever babies hatch can stay in here once Lacey Bear comes out. This will also come in handy for a temp coop for hurt hens, new babies joining the flock, or putting my banty roo in to keep him from over breeding the hens. We can also move this - if DH grabs on end I grab the other and we can " slide" it to a new spot if needed. We might be buliding another one of this in the new banty run we are working on.

Julie

Last edited:
well I just took a peak out there and she is still really puffed up and growling - I will leave her be with the eggs she has stolen from the other hens. Our TS is going to have baby chicks tomorrow and if she does stay broody this time I will see if we can move her and introduce a few baby's in a day or two - I dont think any of the eggs she is setting will hatch - our little banty roo has been breeding a few of the girls but not sure if he is getting the job done.
I would hate for poor Lacey Bear to be setting eggs and not have any babies to care for. I have 6 banty babies in the house that will be a week tomorrow but DH does not want her to have them since they are so small.

so I guess it is up to her.

Julie

well Lacey Bear is walking around the yard like no big deal right now - but I will wait ans see what she does - I have a funny feeling that she is not going to stay broody again - but she is a young bird so she might stay broody at sometime LOL

Julie

Don't quite give up on her being broody yet. I have a D.Cornish who goes broody regulary but she goes through a "transition phase" that takes a few days before she sits fully. Make sure she has eggs to go back to, it's an encougagement for her to sit. Good luck!

right now trying to leave enough eggs for her is not easy - since I have been selling out of eggs so fast we dont even have any for breakfast for ourselves - so I put a closed sign out - in order to let some eggs build up in the coop for her and hopefully get a few for ourselves !!

but I am hopefull she will get the hint to sit

Julie

I am going through much the same thing right now. I have a Buff Orpington pullet that has fooled me two times that she is broody, then pretends like nothing happened. Oh well, she is still pretty young. We'll see what happens! I really like your broody hen setup! Looks really easy to build. Do you have a problem with chicks getting out of the holes in the wire? That looks like 2" by 4" wire, can the chicks fit through that?

even though in the pictures Lacey Bear has that " touch me I will beat you with your own arm look " she is on the roost with the rest of the girls AGAIN crazy hen
barnie.gif

that hoop coop is very easy to build -- the frame is held up with flexable tubeing got it at lowes, and the fenceing is held on the frame with zip stripes, the tubeing is held in place by little tube clips about 1/2 ince in size they are screwed into the wood on both sides. the whole thing can be moved with two people each grabbing a side.

So far we have not had a hen go broody - so we have not been able to use it yet, but if Lacey Bear does not go broody for real I am going to line the sides with chicken wire and put my little banty babies in it when they are older.

we are going to be building one more of these to put in the banty yard - so if I get a broody banty - they will have their own apartment also.

Julie

Broody hens are a fickle thing :eek:
You may be able to do the right thing to encourage them to set(stay broody),but alas you may not get it right and she will do it her way.
Whatever that is???? Just stay in touch with your hen and try different things until you find something that works.

BA

Back
Top Bottom