will silkies use a ladder???

lauren6

Songster
Feb 12, 2010
Roanoke VA
I have a board with sticks screwed to it for the chickens to go in and out of the coop but the silkies that are 3 months old WILL NOT use the thing, they will just huddle in a corner of the run till i come in and then they come up to me to be lifted into the coop, its about 18 inches off the ground. I want them to be able to have access to the coop incase of bad weather. Do they need their own coop level with the ground??? hope not we just finished the big coop, hubby will be none to happy to build another one LOL

My Silkie could easily jump up 18" to get in without the aid of a ladder. If there was food in the coop and a roost she would do it.
Do your Silkies roost in your coop?

I am new to silkies, but they DO NOT like the ramp going up into the coop....its only 10" high, but they absolutely hate going up it, I was told by several people that silkies dont like ramps, etc....

My 6 week old silkies already go up the ladder and put themselves to bed in their coop. Maybe mine are just odd! They do not roost either-just pile on top of one another!

I guess I have an even odder ( is that a real word?) Silkie. She likes the highest roost, is the first one in at night etc..
Her brother"s mixed breed offspring fly real well. They are about 7 weeks old and I hope they will use a 6 foot high entrance opening to the coop with the aid of a 3 foot platform in front of it. I designed the coop so raccoons can not get in but that it is possible for chickens to leave and return. So far it is just raccoon proof and the chickens can get out. I hope I can teach them how to get back in.
If this works out, I will post more info.

Silkes are special needs. I use a ramp with I/O carpet tiles. If it gets dirty, it gets hosed off.

Brenda
48259_chicksramp40810.jpg

Back
Top Bottom