will silkies use a ladder???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauren6, May 11, 2010.

1. lauren6

lauren6 Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Roanoke VA
    I have a board with sticks screwed to it for the chickens to go in and out of the coop but the silkies that are 3 months old WILL NOT use the thing, they will just huddle in a corner of the run till i come in and then they come up to me to be lifted into the coop, its about 18 inches off the ground. I want them to be able to have access to the coop incase of bad weather. Do they need their own coop level with the ground??? hope not we just finished the big coop, hubby will be none to happy to build another one LOL

2. Barry

Barry Songster

My Silkie could easily jump up 18" to get in without the aid of a ladder. If there was food in the coop and a roost she would do it.
    Do your Silkies roost in your coop?

3. Puresilk

Puresilk Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I am new to silkies, but they DO NOT like the ramp going up into the coop....its only 10" high, but they absolutely hate going up it, I was told by several people that silkies dont like ramps, etc....

4. millie481

millie481 In the Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    Mine never did. so I put in a narrow board in it's place, no more problems now.

5. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I just recently sold my Silkies, but when I had them they would not use a ramp/ladder at all.

6. Kattherat

Kattherat In the Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    My 6 week old silkies already go up the ladder and put themselves to bed in their coop. Maybe mine are just odd! They do not roost either-just pile on top of one another!

7. Barry

Barry Songster

I guess I have an even odder ( is that a real word?) Silkie. She likes the highest roost, is the first one in at night etc..
    Her brother"s mixed breed offspring fly real well. They are about 7 weeks old and I hope they will use a 6 foot high entrance opening to the coop with the aid of a 3 foot platform in front of it. I designed the coop so raccoons can not get in but that it is possible for chickens to leave and return. So far it is just raccoon proof and the chickens can get out. I hope I can teach them how to get back in.
    If this works out, I will post more info.

8. tplummer

tplummer Songster

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Mine use the ramp we built. It is a 2 x 4 with little rungs on it. They use it just fine.

9. brendapa

brendapa Songster

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Silkes are special needs. I use a ramp with I/O carpet tiles. If it gets dirty, it gets hosed off.

Brenda
    [​IMG]

10. tplummer

tplummer Songster

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Nice setup. I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by