will silkies use a ladder???

I designed the coop so raccoons can not get in but that it is possible for chickens to leave and return. So far it is just raccoon proof

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Our ramp isn't as long as yours, but yes the silkies use it. Even the ducks use it. Maybe yours is too steep.....can you make it longer but less slanted?

Maybe my silkies are weird though. I have a shelf in the corner the whole pile of them used to sleep under. Lately 2 have been roosting on the lip of the same nest box. 2 on the floor. 2 hop onto the nest box then onto the closest roost. The sizzles hops onto the ducks cage (it's his bed time cage, he's a feather puller) then onto a roost. Sometimes she roost-hops all the way to the top! lol Silly bird.

Our Silkies have no problem with ramps. They use a 34" long ramp that goes up about 14" or so high and somehow manage to get up on their 6' high roosts every night. I will say though that up until about 3 1/2 or 4 months old they stayed on the ground at nights. We have another coop that has a 6' long ramp that goes up about 44" high and it usually takes the new recruits a few nights to get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom