1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will some layer pellets hurt 9 wk olds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by garye5007, Jun 7, 2011.

1. garye5007

garye5007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    I'm working on getting my eight 9 wk olds together with 5 1-1/2 year old hens. i I put a blocked off area in the coop with a screen side that i cut a hole in to just let the little one in with the grower feed in...i just put the little ones in the big coop tonite... i saw the little ones eating some of the layer pellets before i took them out. will the youngesters just eat thier food once they find it? and i have to give the big girls their food in the morning. i cant build another coop..i'm afraid its going to be a tense morning in the hen house tomorrow! .. i didn't imagine this intergration was going to be such a hassle!
    do any of you have any words of wisdom that i can take to ease the pain?
    Thanks, Gary

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Just feed them all the same thing. At that age, I'd suggest Grower. Offer oyster shell on the side in a separate feeder. I hung a pint plastic yogurt container on the run fence for the oyster shell. I did cut a hole in the container so rain water will drain out. This way, the ones that need the calcium will eat the oyster shell and the ones that don't need it won't eat enough to hurt them.

Don't worry about what they ate today. They won't fall over dead from eating that little bit, but a steady diet of layer can cause growing chicks problems over time.

3. garye5007

garye5007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thank you Ridgerunner,
    I knew they wouldn't fall over dead if they ate different feed LOL. It is a great idea to feed them all the same (grower) I didn't think of that!
    No one appeared beat up this morning so i guess i'll see how they do together today!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just to say I agree. I haven't bought layer for ages; they all get flock raiser or grower, with oyster shell on the side, from baby chicks to 4 year old laying hens. No problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by