Will soon have 9 mo old chickens given to me ...

Hello!

If you let them free range, and you have a garden, make sure you have your plants protected or they will eat the leaves and fruit of EVERYTHING! They are pigs.

How far are the chickens from you now? If they are from another state, or even on the other side of the same state, the soil from where they are now is different... which means the coccidiosis in the other soil is slightly different, and even if they are immune to that, you will want to build up their immunity to the cocci in your soil. What we do to do this is not put them immediately outside when we get new ones. We keep them in their coop for a few days and give them herbs to build their immunity to it (oregano, garlic, and aloe juice). And then we start giving bits of dirt and grass to eat, so they can slowly work up their immunity and it won't be too much of a shock to them. Not everyone does this, but we have just to be safe. If you want to learn more about treating chickens and keeping them healthy with herbs, I have an article on it. :) I'm not an expert or a vet, but these things work for us!

Good luck with your chickens! This is a great community for learning more about them and how to care for them!

Great suggestions. They are about an hour west of us (same state). As of now, I have herbs growing in my yard and my garden is done for the year.

Why is it easier to watch them in the evening? Do they not stray too far from their coop?

Last edited:
Rosemaryandthyme- most days I’m up at 6 I didn’t know if I had to wake up before that to let them out.

Venymae - thanks. We live close to my in laws farm (crops only now) and they have lots of stuff we could use for extending a run.

Unless your run is super secure you don't want to let them out of coop until after sunrise due to dawn hunting predators. They won't be up and moving around until after it's light out anyway.

It would be great if you could cover your run with mesh for protection and containment,
but keep in mind 'snow load'...it can take stuff down.

A few more questions:

How early do you need to let them out of the coop in the morning?
Is 6am considered late if it’s still dark out?

Also any tips for helping my own dogs to know that the chickens are not Food? I have two full sized doodles and they are still young so very trainable.

When YOU are ready thats when, do not let them expect to get out AT ALL. I leave mine in for days at a time sometimes, if they squak to get out that is the least likely time I will let them out. I am the boss and refuse to be trained to let chickens out when they want. I like to go out of town for weekends and longer, they need to be able to stay in. Now I do have a pretty big coop/run so they do not need to be let out of a tiny house to breathe...

Can you get the coop they have now since the people are moving, not taking chickens/likely leaving it behind?

Good luck

Gary

Gary, they are free ranging. And from what it sounds like they don't have a coop. They might go in a building on the property though.

I am getting leftover supplies and he's delivering the chickens to us. So can't complain. :)

Great suggestions. They are about an hour west of us (same state). As of now, I have herbs growing in my yard and my garden is done for the year.

Why is it easier to watch them I’m the evening? Do they not stray too far from their coop?

Generally, it's easier to start out in the evening, yes partly so they don't stray too far the first couple times.. If you let them out first about an hour to two hours before nightfall they won't go too far, and you'll be able to make sure they go into their coop to roost once it's dark. They should start to do that by themselves. :)

Back
Top Bottom