Will sour crop resolve by itself? If not what treatment works?

Sorry for the lack of updates. So I took her to the vet and they told me basically that her crop has been stretched and will lead to reoccurring problems. I’m working on trying to get one of those birdy “bras” to help support her crop.

Glad you were able to have her seen. The second article I gave you the link to has some instructions on making a crop bra. I've made my own. Whether you buy one or make one, it can take some trial and error and many adjustments to get them fit correctly. If the crop is very full you will need to put it on looser at the beginning and tighten it up as the crop empties, so that you don't force the contents up. The bird may react badly at first, I've had them walk backwards, fall over on their backs, or high step trying to step over it (which can result in trapped feet or legs in the bra if it's not adjusted correctly), so supervise until you know she's doing OK with it. Some of them adapt quickly, some take longer. I had one hen that lived 2 more years in a crop bra, she did well once it was fit and adjusted right. You will need to check regularly to make sure there is no irritation from the bra.

Back
Top Bottom