Will Stray Cats attack chicks?

PhoenixAngel429

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
East KY
We found a stray cat in the barn and the same day one of our chicks gone. We think it was the cat. What can I do about it? I already locked the hen and her bitties in a coop what else can I do?

Yes, a stray cat will prey upon a chick. Once they get to be full sized large fowl, cats usually won't bother them, but they will grab a chick in a heartbeat!

GRRRR! Darned cats!
barnie.gif

I lost over $200 in chicks(potential show birds) last year to the cats that showed up when a neighbor decided to toss them out and stop feeding them. Then a half grown welsummer and 3 grown bantams. Anything that goes after my birds is dealt with harshly. It is hard to protect against a cat. They can be smart and sneaky.

Matt

kill the cat is the only sure fired way to stop it but if you can't do it the catch it and drive it 20 miles from the house if it returns kill the cat.

try to catch the cat and bring it to the SPCA. I am dealing with a golden retreiver... Where I live "semi rural" People think they can just let their dogs roam free. If I were really mean I'd let my female Malamute run around freely, she'll make a quick meal out of ANYTHING (or just about) that isn't human. But since I'm not cruel I am going to try to catch the dog next time it's on my property and call dog control. Seriously, if your animals can't stay on your property (accidents do happen, I understand/know that, but daily is NOT an accident) then tie them up, confine them, but please don't let them just roam around!

Keep you chicks locked up and feed the cat.... keep him around for mousing, many (not all) cats won't bother adult chickens!

i have the same problem yesterday, 4 out 9 chicks gone and i finally caught who was doin it, of course a stray cat so now i am puttin my babies away and tryna get rid of it, good luck on urs

Back
Top Bottom