Will sudden temperature change cause respiratory problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazychick26201, Feb 18, 2015.

1. crazychick26201

crazychick26201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    It is supposed to be -14 with wind chills of -25 at night here. I am thinking of bringing my four hens into the basement for one night. I have it all set up down there. Current temp in the basement is 45 degrees. So if it doesn't warm up much the next day, and I return the chicks to the coop will they develop respiratory is sure because of the dramatic temperature change between the basement and coop? Weighing my options. They have never spent a night in the coop when it was that cold. This is my second winter with chickens. Please advise.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many people bring their chickens into a basement if the temps are below zero if it is feasible. They won't develop respiratory problems unless they have been exposed to a disease from a carrier bird. Extremely cold temps can be a stressor that may cause a chicken who has been exposed before to develop symptoms of a chronic respiratory disease, but if they haven't been exposed then cold temps won't cause it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by