Will the flock members hurt the new chicks?

rooster brandon.

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Kodak, by knoxville
I have a broody cochin that has chicks under her she will come out in about 30 min when i go to feed will the chicks be hurt what should i expect? I dont wont the broody hen to had sit on the eggs for 21 days for nothing.Will the chicks even follow her there about 2 days old im positive she will come out to feed she always has will the chicks follow the is about 7 other chickens 2 rooster they have lived togehtor for a long tim what will the flock members do/think please help im worried!

my broody hen was separated for about 2 weeks after hatch .. and very unhappy. She would hop out of the pen when I opened to top - I think she wanted to take her chicks with her-- but she stayed close. I let everyone out this past Friday and could kick myself for not doing it sooner. The next broody will have a nesting area to herself that will have an opening for her to bring the chicks out when she is ready - not when I am ready. I did stand around and watch for about an hour. She was picky on who she allowed close to the chicks and the rest of the flock respected her wishes. I have some 18 week olds that were not as smart as the older chickens so they got quite a thrashing when they came too close. My alpha roo made similar clucking noises when he inspected..and Mama wasn't upset with his presence - my younger roo wasn't so lucky.
gig.gif
My hen is leading them closer and closer to the coop door - my flock free ranges during the day and cooped at night.. so far they have not gone out into the yard - I am very nervous about that.

All of this to say - chicken raising is ALWAYS a learning experience for me. What worked for me might not work for you. I would watch how the flock interacts with Mama and the chicks.. ready to step in if necessary..

Shelly

I think it depends on the hen and how high up she is on the pecking order. If she's on the upper end of the pecking order, she'll probably be fine protecting the chicks. If your hen is lower ranking, then I'd watch really close. If you have a great rooster, he will protect the hen and her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom