Will the others die?

chickgirl66

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
I had a chicken die last Saturday. She never really developed comb or wattles. Her comb was always white. I thought she was sickly from the got go. I've had the chickens for four months. Now, another one has a pink colored comb but has that "look" of sickness in its face. Still eating and poop looks fine. Will the others die? It's too cold for coccidiosis isn't it? I don't want to lose my egg layers. Only two out of five are laying. Not sure what to do.

Coccidiosis comes from the dirt, and although it is more common in warmer months, they can still get it in winter. Most chickens develop immunity to cocci in their own soil between 11 and 20 weeks, but new strains can be brought in by new additions to the flock, or tracked in on shoes. Symptoms of ccodidosis are standing puffed up, diarrhea (sometimes with blood,) poor appetite, pale color, and ruffled feathers. I would check your chickens for mites and lice, and worm them with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) or Valbazen, since those things can cause anemia. Inspect the vent, and check the crop in early morning to make sure thhey are emptying.

Thank you very much. I'm new to this. How do you check the crop? Not sure what this even is, lol.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I'm new to this. How do you check the crop? Not sure what this even is, lol.
The crop is where the food goes to be stored until it makes its way down to the gizzard(this is where the grit is stored)grit along with the contractions of gizzard(large muscle)grind up food so it can be digested.

The crop is located to the right of breast and expands during the day due to eating(should be full at night)empties overnight,check in morning before eating,crop should be empty.

Back
Top Bottom