Will the real chicken doctor please stand up

Gearmpr

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2015
Rakestraw Red Farms Loranger La
Ok I have two questions for y'all. First, just a couple of days ago I noticed one of my birds losing feathers on her crop, exposing it. I haven't had the second to go out there and feel it to see if it's impacted, but in the meantime, any ideas of what it could be? Also, another question, another one of my birds seems to be getting the chicken version of dingleberries along with missing feathers near her glutemus Maximus :p, raising these birds is new to me, so I'm hoping these questions are nothing to worry about. Thanks in advance :)

It usually starts at the front and works it's way back, ending in tail feathers and wing feathers.

The poop on the feathers isn't unusual. My cochins have more of an issue with it on their rear than any of the others. It's not too bad, but IF it does I will have to pull them and help break it up gently with warm water, and make sure their rears are fairly dry before bringing them back out (it's been chilly here).

The poop on the feathers isn't unusual. My cochins have more of an issue with it on their rear than any of the others. It's not too bad, but IF it does I will have to pull them and help break it up gently with warm water, and make sure their rears are fairly dry before bringing them back out (it's been chilly here).

What kinds of problems will it cause? And how do I prevent it?

IF it's too close to the vent it can cause issues. And there's really not anything you can do to prevent them from pooping on themselves. Poop happens. I don't want matted fur/feathers if it gets bad. With my cochins they have really long fur on their butts, moreso than the other girls do, so it just gets on them.

Oh ok lol I didn't know if it could cause rashes and mess with production. Or if I should keep their butts shaved or something lol

Just wanted to mention Flystrike as a potential problem. Sometimes flies will set up camp in those dingleberries and lay their eggs there. Once hatched the maggots have a tendency of making their way into the chickens vent :sick which becomes their new home. So it's best to keep their rumps clean if possible.

Back
Top Bottom