Will the vet know my bunny is under one year old?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
My bunny is about 6 months old and I want to have her spayed. Unfortunately the vet only accepts female bunnies that are one year old for surgery. If I lie to the vet and claim my bunny is one year old will they be able to know the real age of my bunny?

My bunny is about 6 months old and I want to have her spayed. Unfortunately the vet only accepts female bunnies that are one year old for surgery. If I lie to the vet and claim my bunny is one year old will they be able to know the real age of my bunny?
Short answer. yes. Your vet will know. If you don't like the Vet's rule, why not find another vet? 6-12 mos is the "normal" range you spay rabbits, they've typically sexually mature by then. Did you vet say why they waited to a year?

And is there a reason you can't wait? Like do you have her in with a male or something?

Most animals require a certain weight to be considered safe to put under anesthesia, it might be a year for rabbits.
Any less, the vet won't do it as your bun might die under the anesthesia.
Fair. A small breed like a netherland may not have enough weight by 6 mos. My vet has no issues with them, but she's also very adamant about "this is a rabbit, no matter how good I do my job, she may not wake up because anesthesia is super hard on rabbits". We haven't lost one yet, but she's also very good with exotics. :)

Back
Top Bottom