Will the water ever freeze?

BantammChick

🤠
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Missouri
It is starting to get cold,in late November,in the late nights.In my chicken house the water STILL has not froze,even though the goats water,which is outside,has froze a few times already.I guess the chickens keep it so warm in there that their water won't freeze until it gets REALLY cold.

I have a thermometer in my coop and it seems to be warmer in there than outside, most days. I have had times when my cockerel's water froze, but his water was in a smaller container. If your water dish is deep, and they are drinking from it regularly it keeps ice from forming on the top. I usually saw ice forming over night rather than during the day. Also, if your water is kept where drafts from the pop door may blow on it, it'd freeze faster which was also the case w/ my cockerel's dish.

In Missouri your water will eventually freeze unless you somehow heat it. I'm south of you and have already had skim ice. Winter is coming.

What kind of container do you have your water in? Will it be destroyed if it freezes? I keep mine in a black rubber tub so when it freezes I can knock the ice out and refill it. Other people solve the problem other ways.

When mine freezes the chickens will often peck through the ice to get to the water that is not already frozen, they have that much power in their beaks. Some times I walk in there is a big crater right in the middle.

It can be warmer in some coops than outside, even with good ventilation. In small coops the chickens body heat may contribute to that. If the coop is on the ground the ground may be warmer than the air outside so it's heating the air. Each coop is different , there can be different reasons for them to be bit warmer. But when that freezes solid will be a factor of how cold it gets and how long it stays cold.

What kind of container do you have your water in? Will it be destroyed if it freezes? I keep mine in a black rubber tub so when it freezes I can knock the ice out and refill it. Other people solve the problem other ways.

Those are the best in lieu of some temperature controlled system.
You can put a bird bath heater in the larger ones or barring that, you can beat the ice out of them without damage.
I quit using them with roosters though. They dip their wattles in them to drink and get frost bitten wattles.

Those are the best in lieu of some temperature controlled system.
You can put a bird bath heater in the larger ones or barring that, you can beat the ice out of them without damage.
I quit using them with roosters though. They dip their wattles in them to drink and get frost bitten wattles.
I'm having that problem w/ my rooster right now. Even when I had a more shallow/ narrow waterer he still dipped his waddles in. He has some huge waddles.

Back
Top Bottom