1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will these harm my chicks IMPORTANT!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Charlotte, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello guys,

I have a half broody and she will sit on eggs if you make her sounds harsh but really its not [​IMG] Anyway I let her out every day nearly and she sometimes does a big sloppy GROSS poo on some of the eggs. My friend is looking after her while our family goes to Bali, and she can only let her out every 2 days, will having some poo on my eggs harm them. Like will it stop them from developing what will it do?

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There is a natural "bloom" coating on the outside of an egg's shell that helps protect it from bacteria & washing an egg (particularly if you use soap) might wash some of that protection off. If you do wash the egg, be sure to use water that is good & warm so the chick inside doesn't get chilled.

Anything gloopy on an egg might still get some bacteria into the egg, plus will cut down the oxygen getting to the inside of the egg. You can possibly carefully scrape off some of the poop. That might be best once it's dried, so the poop doesn't get smeared onto more of the egg & seal off more of the pores in the egg.

A lot of eggs with smears of poop on them do end up hatching fine, too, so please don't think there's not hope that things will go along pretty fine, as is.

Does anyone else have ideas or knowledge on this?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    i had a broody, it was her first time (and mine) so i only gave her one egg just to see if she would stay the distance, anyway about half way through she covered it in the most disgusting smelling poop. i thought that was it, it was never gonna hatch. The poop had all dried on by the time i found it so i scratched a bit of it off carefully but it was pretty bad, but mum refused to give up so i left her. I candled at 18 days and was sure it wasn't developing but with only 3 days left and a determined broody i thought why not. anyway i am so glad i left it cos it hatched perfectly. I now have a very hansome super stong and healthy roo. Oh well [​IMG] can't have everything.

fingers crossed for you. don't give up.

4. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Thanks I hope it does to!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by