Will they adopt?

ironjerry

Songster
14 Years
May 4, 2007
medina, ohio
I have one male and two female Chinese Geese who hopefully will adopt the four babies that just hatched. The babies are from the adults but I put them in the incubator as they just laid eggs but never sat. I took the babies that hatched yesterday and put them in a box on the lawn. The adults just walked up showing much interest. I dumped the box over and the babies ran to the adults. They have been following them all around the yard and now into the barn once it is getting dark. I put a feeder and waterer in the barn when they were out side. I have a small stream running through the yard and all the fowl go there to drink. I do not know if I should go and get them or leave them with the adults. they seem to have accepted them. Anyone out there ever do this?

I have one male and two female Chinese Geese who hopefully will adopt the four babies that just hatched. The babies are from the adults but I put them in the incubator as they just laid eggs but never sat. I took the babies that hatched yesterday and put them in a box on the lawn. The adults just walked up showing much interest. I dumped the box over and the babies ran to the adults. They have been following them all around the yard and now into the barn once it is getting dark. I put a feeder and waterer in the barn when they were out side. I have a small stream running through the yard and all the fowl go there to drink. I do not know if I should go and get them or leave them with the adults. they seem to have accepted them. Anyone out there ever do this?
I would be concerned about them being cold, can you see if anyone is keeping the goslings warm. That would be my main concern. After i was sure they had been accepted by everyone.

Congrats!!! I hatched out a 4 pack of goslings to give to my pair of adult ganders. Our weather was not warm enough to risk letting the parents adopt them before too early, nor did I have geese to help keep babies warm. But, those ganders are overly protective of their goslings and since turning them out, they are a happy flock.

If you can sneak out there without disturbing the adults, if it is nightfall and the geese have adopted, they will have the goslings tucked under their wings.

They have adopted them. They all walk them around the yard and had them under them in the barn. I was wirried but I think they will be ok. I am still putting food and water in the barn for them.

They have adopted them. They all walk them around the yard and had them under them in the barn. I was wirried but I think they will be ok. I am still putting food and water in the barn for them.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom