Will they be warm enough?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Oct 18, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have 11 Amberlinks (6months) and 4 Silkie/Bantam Brahmas (3-4months). The little ones are living in a huge dog cage within the coop. I cannot seem to intergrate, the bigger girls are just plain nasty to them. So i picked up this wonderful little house for them this weekend. Now i am nervous about putting them in it at night......

Edit to add --- days are around 50s and nights are 30 - 40 right now.... seems to be rapidly dropping....

It is very well made and has vent. holes. They do all sleep in a pile in the dog cage so Im sure they would do they same in here... Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

This is where in the run it is. The run has hardware cloth dug down and attached to the bottom of the run, it is secure.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They should be fine. Just make sure you have alot of pine shavings on the floor to keep their tootsies off the ground and warm.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    They should be fine. Add extra shavings or hay or straw. For maximum warmth.

4. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Well they are in, we will see how they do!!! I closed them up in the little house for the night. Hopefully someday they will all get along and then they can hang with the big girls during the day and I can put their little house in the big coop instead of outside!

5. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    They will be fine. We live in Alaska, and it gets down to -30 part of the winter. No problems really.
    We add a small ceramic heater once it dips below -20.

Their birds [​IMG]

6. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Now that is cold!!!! [​IMG]

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Great job! I recommend hay and you should let them have a little time outside each day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by