Will they breed this winter?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by goosemama, Jun 21, 2011.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Just getting into geese with purchasing 4 Pilgrims and have read they mature at one year. Since mine were hatched end of May does this mean they won't breed or lay eggs this coming winter? (which would be their first breeding season.) but will wait until they are actually a year old next May?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Can't say, they might start laying this coming may so be ready. you will have better results the second year as the ganders seem to be slower to mature than the females.

3. goosemama

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Well I waited a long time to find Pilgrims another year is not going to matter. Actually if geese breed about January - February mine would not be a year old then only 8 months so stands to reason they may not lay eggs or breed until they are a year old next May or may wait until the next winter breeding season. Some things take patience of which I am woefully lacking! Will be glad when I get the new shed set up for them with a grassy area for grazing so I don't have to carry them back and forth to the cyclone kennel on the lawn from their brooder every day(more patience required)..

4. GUNNERMATE

GUNNERMATE Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    California
    My pilgrims layed and hatched 7 goslings at 10 months of age.

5. goosemama

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Wow that's good news! So there's hope for babies next Spring "maybe".

6. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Mine are white Chinese so it may be different. Last year we got two hatchlings - male and female to keep our lone goose company. This year the three year old and the new goose both laid eggs but the older goose had much bigger eggs and they hatched out great. The younger goose was being bred but her eggs weren't fertile at first and later they would develop but not hatch. I finally did start getting geese from her but they are smaller.

For me the gander wasn't the problem, it just took to goose a while to get it right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by