Will they ever grow!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imogene08, Nov 5, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I have 2 pullets a Polish an a Americuna/polish bantam mix but they don't seem to be growing body wise.Thier feathers are growing and crowns an wattles but their body has been the same since the where maybe a month or two old.They are now possiblely 5/4 months old.Im worried they will not grow because I have had 2 polishes die from the same breeder because of stunted growth :*(
    [​IMG]] the bantie kiwi
    [​IMG] the Polish Lou
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some birds are just stunted, either because of a genetic deformity or lack of nutrition. They may live perfectly normal lives, but just won't be the same as other chickens. I once had a chick that was stunted like yours; I think its because she had a difficult hatch and bad reaction to a vaccine I gave her. From 3 weeks to 12 weeks old, she remained the same size. Finally, one day I found her dead, with no other symptoms. I suspect there was some sort of internal problem.

The breeder you got your birds from may have a rather inbred line, with reduced vigor. Or they may simply have poor quality birds. If you want some healthy birds, I would suggest getting them from somewhere else.

3. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Would they lay eggs I'm afried for them I don't want to them to die.An never again am
    I buying from there

4. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    The Polish seems to be getting a bit bigger but no use for the bantie they are still young to signs of comb and wattle growth alittle on the bantie maybe they are just slow growers?and my mistake they have been about the same size since about 3 months Lou seems to growing a bit more but right now their body's wouldn't be capable of laying I would think

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't know for sure. If they do lay, eggs may just be smaller.

Well, they may eventually reach full size. [​IMG] I had a cockerel this year that was a runt because he was lowest in the pecking order. He didn't crow, had hen-like comb/wattles, and was tiny until he was about 9 months old. Then, his comb and wattles suddenly started growing, and he filled out to a normal bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by