Will they get along?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TracyLK, Apr 17, 2011.

1. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I Will be getting my first set of 6 chicks in June. I picked:

1 Partridge Silkie Bantam
    1 Blue Silkie Bantam
    2 Easter Egger Bantams
    1 Dominique
    1 Buff Orpington

Do you think the 4 bantams will do okay with the 2 standards? should I change the order?

Thanks!

2. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    IM not sure i would go with all bantams or all standerds the 2 standerds will take over and the bantams could get hurt. see what others say before you change your order though.

oh and [​IMG] chickens are a lota fun just ask any one on here!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  3. lamNervousNellie

lamNervousNellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    My BF and I have 3 RIR hens, and we got 3 silkie hens a few months after getting our RIRs. I know RIRs aren't the friendliest birds, but let me tell you, there was D-R-A-M-A when we tried to introduce the silkies. Long story short, we had to keep them seperated and it was a big headache. Maybe it will be better since you're getting them all at the same time, and if they're all young it might not be a problem if they grow up together.. BUT.. if this is your first time having chickens I would recommend choosing one or the other. Silkies are super sweet, docile, and friendly, and will be submissive to any larger/aggressive chickens (which could cause them to get hurt.. they will not defend themselves from my experience). Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by