Will they lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by SouthernAlberta, Jul 27, 2013.

1. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    I have just adopted a bonded pair of Show Kings as pets. The breeder has told me they are useless to him because the boy has a deformed foot from freezing it and the girl is too small to show. I assume the boy needs his feet to mate? Will the hen still lay infertile eggs? Might they become foster incubators for my quail eggs?

1 person likes this.
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    In a perfect world the hen should lay eggs. If the male is still able to tread you can expect eggs in about 10 days. They may even be fertile it is amazing what males can do when they put their mind to it.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they are kept in a pen where other birds can not interfere, just as Hokum Coco says, he may very well be able to mate her. It is not uncommon for hens to 'top' their mates, and this would assure fertile eggs. Let them have a try at raising some squabs.

4. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    They laid two eggs. One was fertile. The baby pipped, but didn't fully hatch and died still inside. Next time should I help?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  5. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    We have two more eggs. What might I do to improve the chances of a live squab?

1 person likes this.
  6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have helped squabs get out of the shell after they have pipped and it worked fine for me.
    That being said I just went from 40 white homers down to 4 adult birds due to a devastating raccoon attack and other factors.
    Being a bit anxious to build my flock I acted premature.
    I tried to help a squab just a few days ago get free from his shell and it went sour.
    I tore the membrane on the egg while he was still nurturing the egg sac and the squab perished.
    Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
    Be extremely careful if you decide to help the consequences can sometimes be fatal for the squab.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    HC, Thank you for making time to provide guidance. I'm really sorry to read your sad news. My thoughts are with you as you rebuild.Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  8. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    1 person likes this.
  9. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    give the birds bath water do not think you can help with a sponge just make a wet mess

1 person likes this.
  10. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    They have a bath tub. I think they did last time, too, but I can't remember.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by