will they move?

devans87

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Dallas
Suppose the heatlamp is producing too much heat directly underneath, are the chicks "smart" enough not to lay underneath it? If so, will it be ok for the lamp to produce too much heat as long as they can get away from the heat to a cooler region of the brooder?

I would say it serves no purpose to intentionally leave a heat lamp positioned to drive chicks from under it. Unless your brooder is so spacious that the area below the heat lamp is not needed, I would position the lamp higher so chicks will spend their time spread out under the lamp, not huddled together directly below and not fleeing from it.

Wayne

If they have enough room to get out from under then it would work ok but I agree there's no point. You'll just waste brooder space and run the risk of them all cramming together along the edges to avoid the light. Use a lower wattage bulb or raise the lamp up. I start with a 100watt for a few days, switch to a 60w for 1-2weeks, then a 40w red bulb for a week, and usually by then they don't need heat since I raise them in the house but sometimes just to transition them easier I stick a 25w blue or red in there until they get used to it being darker.

the brooder is 2' wide 2' tall and 8' long so they can definately get away from the heat I was just making sure they would know to move away if they get too hot. The reason I have it that way is because the new brooder is outside in a shed and theres no heat in the shed. The temp. varies from about 50 during the day to possibly the 20's at night and I want to make sure they can stay warm no matter what the temp. I have them in a small rabbit cage inside the house now but there is 11 of them and they need more space. Thanks for the info.
smile.png

They will find their comfort zone. I keep my brooder temp at around 95 degrees for their first week and decrease the temp 5 degrees per week. There is a pic of my brooder on my BYC Page.

Thanks for the info, I moved them to the new brooder this afternoon and they LOVE it!!!
wee.gif
They have so much room to stretch their legs and wings. I'll have to get some pics this weekend of the brooder I built.

Back
Top Bottom