Will they pip and make a hole, but not zip??

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I have a Buff Orp that has been pipped since this morning, it has made a hole in the shell that is a little bit smaller than a dime. I can see it's beak, it does look like the membrane may be sticking to it's beak. It can open its beak and it can breath, but it doesn't seem to be turning at all to zip. Could it be to big to turn to finish zipping or is this normal?? I have never had a chick pip a hole this big and not already be zipping.

My hatch a couple hatches ago had one that was pipped for almost 24 hours before it zipped, I would just leave it , I am sure it is either resting or still absorbing the yolk.

It COULD be to big, It COULD be dry, It COULD be normal !!!!! Have you been opening the bator alot to check on him/her ??? If so that can dry things out... Also it can take up to 48 hours for a chick to hatch !!!! So, maybe the little one is just taking its time and trying to drive you nuts !!!! As long as the chick is still chirping I wouldnt do anything yet !!!! I dont help in till 24+ hrs with no progress !!! Unless I notice the chick starting to go down hill, Good luck and keep us updated !!!

Also whats your hum at ???

No, I have not been opening it. My humidity is at 64% and has been between 63%-69% throughout the day. Thanks!! It is so hard to just sit and do nothing!!!! But, I have killed to many chicks trying to help, so I will sit on my hands.
smile.png

Last edited:
It does have a small piece of shell that has fallen towards the inside that looks like it is going in it's mouth. Will it choke??

I had 3 barred rock chicks that pipped inside, but never pipped the shell or zipped. I also had one that pipped the shell, but never zipped. Two hatches ago, I had a zip take 12 hours.

Could go either way. Good luck!

It SHOULD be fine !!!!! I understand how you feel !!!!! If its going to drive you totally nuts then remove the little peice of shell from its mouth, But, do it quick so you dont lose much hum.... If by morning it doesnt make any progress I would then THINK about helping it !!

Last edited:
I would not open the incubator at all. That quick blast of air will destroy your hatch for certain. It is always best to wait at least 24 hours from the time of pip, however I don't recommend helping at all. Good luck..I hope your chick hatches soon for you.

Jody

The little piece of shell managed to fall off to the side so it is not near it's mouth anymore. My biggest concern is the membrane looks like it is sticking to side of its beak. Luckily though, the hole is quite large and the membrane is broken and it has its beak out so I know it can breath well.

On a side note, I have another one that has zipped about 1/2 way around.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I'm happy that the shell fixed it self !!!!! If it were me it would of drove me crazy !!!! Then I would be thinking about it all night !!!!! AHHHH !!!!! It might just look dry, if you havent been opening the bator and your hum is 60% to 70% it should be ok !!!! Wait and see till morning !!!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif